Chapter 34 - Unbothered

"Can I help you?" Jeremy asked improperly.

I stared in disbelief as Jeremy gave my unborn child's father the worst set of attitude.

"Lei," Jerry said, ignoring Jeremy.

Jeremy glanced over his shoulder at me, seeming more pissed than expected. "Do you know this guy?"

"No... yes... yes and no," I hesitated.

When Jerry made a step towards the door, I stumbled back, tripping over myself. I yelped when something hard punched my foot.

Jeremy gripped me as I lifted my feet. "What? What is it?"

Steadying my balance against him, I plucked a sharp pebble from my instep. "A stone."

"It must have come in with my shoe..." Jeremy said, releasing me slowly. "This is also another reason why you shouldn't be on your feet."

I rolled my eyes. Now wasn't the time to play daddy or doctor. "I'm fine. It was just a pebble, not glass." I waved him off. "Anyway, weren't you going to leave?" I stared at him blankly.

"Yeah, but..." As if remembering we had an audience, he looked at me and then at Jerry. "You don't know this guy. Who is he? And I don't think I've ever seen him around here before."

"I know him. It's nothing. I'm going to be fine. You should go."

"Are you sure?"

"Jeez, yes!" I pushed him towards the door. "I'll be fine."

"Okay."

Jeremy left, bumping shoulders with Jerry. But Jerry hadn't batted him an eye. In fact, he kept a steady gaze on me the entire time. Only when he made a move up the step I realized what was really taking place.

I moved towards the door with haste, still keeping my distance. "Stop!" I held my palm out. "Where are you going? I never invited you to my house."

"I..."

I shook my head. No way I was letting him inside this easily. He'd done enough damage to my life to just waltz back in as if nothing happened. I was tired. Now that my life started to look better, he popped up like a nasty cold sore? Nope. Not today, Satan. "Move! I don't want to see you, nor speak to you."

He made another step towards me.

"Jerry," I warned.

"Lei, I just want to—"

"I don't want to hear another word coming from your mouth. You're a liar and a cheat. Now, get out before I call the police."

He backed away, stopping at the top step, and looking all puppy-dog eyed. Fool me once. I didn't care because he never cared about my feelings months ago. Inhaling a deep breath, I slammed the door in his damn face.

"Since I can't talk to you in there I will say everything I have to say out here," Jerry shouted behind the door.

"I'm not listening," I shouted back.

I took a seat on the couch and stretched out my legs. Within arm's reach, I grabbed the remote and turned on the television. Reruns of Jerry Springer was showing.

"Leila, I am sorry." I heard outside.

Hearing that word got really old. Everyone who claimed they loved me often used that word. Sorry. Sorry for what? I rolled my eyes and cranked up the volume.

Okay, maybe Jerry Springer was a bad idea. I flicked through the television and stopped on HGTV. They were remodeling a two-bedroom house.

Jerry threw his voice. "I didn't get married to her. I called the wedding off."