Chapter 1

Chapter 1
Lost In My Blood
Sarah Wilson
946 Words
~

Finally! After eight terribly long years of university I can proudly say I am a doctor. I decided to take a less traditional route, I'll die if I ever have to sit in an office to do my work. Island Records contacted my medical school to find a medic for large events. Of course, a million people wanted that job. Who wouldn't? I applied a few weeks ago, a few weeks of gruelling suspense. It was all worth it in the end though because yesterday I got accepted!

My first event is in one month at the Rogers Arena in Vancouver. I have no idea who or what the event is about, but I hope I don't screw up that badly. Since I need to get briefed way before the event is announced, there's not one drop of information on the internet. All I've been told is that there's gonna be tens of thousands of people, a stage switch, and a suspended world. Not sure what they meant by that last one. I'm sure I'll find out when I get to meet my management today.

~

"Hey mom? Do you have any idea where my keys are?" Parents always seem to know where things are I swear. She laughs softly and throws them at me while I rush out the door. "Bye! Love you!" I get in my car and turn on the radio as "There's Nothing Holding Me Back" starts playing. I smile and start heading to the offices. I'm not a crazy fan of Shawn but he still has an amazing voice.

As soon as I get near to the offices, I'm greeted by giant gates which reminds me of the stakes of my job. A medic for a large event, huge event! I'm sure a celebrity is involved. The security guards let me through and behold a valet takes care of parking my car. I walk up to the entrance and then the main desk, taking in my surroundings. "Hi! Welcome to Island Records! How may I help you?" The receptionist asks me in a very energetic voice even though it's barely 7am. "Hey, I have a meeting with a management team here. Sarah Wilson." Damn it, I should've asked them what their name was. They probably have a million management teams here! "Ah yes, go up to the fifth floor and show them your badge. They'll be in a large conference room. If anyone gives you any trouble, ask for Andrew Gertler." I nod and clip the badge onto my shirt. "Thank you!" I go on the elevator and curse quietly as I see it's all glass. I'm not that scared of heights but really? All glass? Not my cup of tea.

I step out at the fifth floor and take a deep breath before showing my badge to a tall man who I guessed seemed important. He smiled and laughed "Oh I'm sorry sweetheart, I'm not security. I'm just recording here. Oh whatever, you seem legit, just go in. If someone throws a hissy fit at you tell them to talk to Shawn Mendes. Good luck!" I blink a few times "Thank you!" Wow. Shawn Peter Raul Mendes. The one and only. Calm down Sarah, he's just a human with an audience. A giant one. I knock on the door at conference room A. It looks huge so it's worth a shot. Someone opens it and lets me in. "Finally, you're here! It's nice to see you again. Andrew Gertler." I shake his hand "Sarah Wilson." I sit down, so that's who the receptionist was talking about.  He laughs "Of course, I've heard a lot about you. Top of class, eh?" I smile and nod "Proudly." A few more people come in and the meeting starts.

~

I take my folder in my hands and shake everyone's hand as I leave the room. I wait outside silently until Andrew leaves. "Uh, hey. Could I go over all of this," I gesture to the million papers in the folder. "with you?" He smiles and leads me into his office, not too small, not too big. "So, How can I help? Questions?" I take out a few papers that have the map of all the entrances, backstage, and the main area. "How exactly will I know where I need to be? I know there's first aid but accidents happen everywhere." He nods, smiling understandably "On the day of the event, or I guess whenever we start preparing for the event at the actual venue, you'll get a pager and walkie talkie. If we can't reach you that way for any reason, we will text or call you." We continue talking for almost an hour and I feel a lot more relaxed about the event. "Thanks, I'll see you at the event then." I tell him before actually leaving this time.

~

I get home and start brushing up on the skills I'll probably need to know for the event. Dehydration protocols, it's really hot in packed arenas and not a lot of people fancy buying 6$ water. Crush injury management, if it's an event that has an open floor with no seats, people will definitely get squashed in between the barricades and the wall of people. Syncope, people see their idols, they pass out. I've seen it happen a bunch of times. It's crazy how much someone can mean to you. Finally, anxiety and panic attacks, performing is really stressful and that  takes a toll on whoever is performing. Okay, I think I'm ready.

A/N: Thanks for reading and remember to vote and comment! ❤️