Chapter Two - No Strings Attached

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r   t w o 

{No Strings Attached}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

Three months Later...

I finish filing papers for the day and leave the office. Today included a trip to make sure a family who recently took in a foster child was adjusting well. I also had a meeting with an older foster kid who's experiencing emotional issues. To say I'm fatigued is an understatement.

The moment I step outside, I'm sucked into the stream of people hustling down the sidewalk. I notice the same group of people walking their day-to-day routes. We share smiles, even though we don't know each other.

I stop at a coffee shop before rounding the corner to my apartment.

"Hey kid, the usual?" Kenny, the little old man who owns the cafe asks, already getting a cup. I nod enthusiastically and ask him how his day has been.

"Busy." He leans in to whisper something. "This stays between you and me, but you worked better than all the employees I have now."

"It was the scent of coffee that kept me motivated." He smiles at my comment and snickers.

He pours me a cup. When he seals the lid he asks, "How's the boyfriend? When can I give 'em the talk?"

"First of all, I don't have a boyfriend," I snort. "That was a colleague you met the other day."

He raises his eyebrows accusingly. "Could've fooled me."

"He is not my boyfriend."

His hands shoot upward in defense. "Okay, I believe you."

I don't have a boyfriend, but I neglect to mention I have a date tonight. I don't want to tell Kenny because who knows if it will work out. Raven gushed over her new co-worker, who is awfully nice and single. She happened to give him my number and now we have a date. 

"Well, thank you." I reach for my drink that he attempts to give me on the house like every other time. I don't let that happen though and slip the cash into the tip jar, making sure he notices. 

He winks at me and I exit the cafe. I've known Kenny for eight years and there has never been a dull moment. When Marlee and I moved to the city, we scouted every coffee shop to find which was the best. We came across Mr. K's and instantly fell in love. It became a tradition to go here.

When I turned sixteen Kenny offered me a job that I desperately needed, and I worked for him until I graduated college. He always let me work when I needed extra cash. But thankfully, everything has been going as planned so I haven't picked up shifts in a while. I still try to visit Kenny every day. I consider him family.

I finally reach my complex and head up to my apartment. I beeline to the bathroom and start the shower, but as I undress, my phone rings. 

"Hey love, how are you?" Marlee's voice sounds through the room.

"Hey Mar, I'm good. I have a date tonight with a guy Raven set me up with. So I'm about to get in the shower. How are you?"

"That sounds fun." I know she's grinning. "And good, Dylan and I are adding finishing touches to the house."

"Yes but that's where Dylan will be sleeping and you'll be sleeping beside me." I laugh at her absurdity, she couldn't possibly kick her husband out of their bed for me. But deep down I'm actually glad she would.