Chapter Thirty Seven - Bittersweet Silence

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t h i r t y s e v e n

{Bittersweet Silence}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

After Jayden and I share the news about Ellie to our close friends and family, Marlee organizes a celebration dinner. If there is anything she can do well, it's hosting a get-together. Even though Jayden doesn't fancy attention, he's too excited to be bothered.

"Would you like to walk or drive?" Jayden questions from the bathroom.

I step onto our balcony, using the weather to gauge my decision. The sun is setting over the city. A mix of soft orange and pink colors decorate the sky, accompanied by a gentle warm breeze that tosses my hair around. It's too beautiful not to walk.

I rejoin him in the bathroom. From behind, I slide my arms around his torso and rest my head on his back. "Let's walk."

"Sounds good to me, Killer." He faces me. "Also, you need to get your sister another hobby other than hosting dinners."

A hearty chuckle escapes me. "She loves hosting dinners. She enjoys having people around. You're just annoyed because tonight's about you."

He shakes his head. "About us. It's you and me now."

Once we're done getting ready, we head over on foot. We arrive before everyone else. Marlee and Dylan greet us with giant hugs.

"It's so nice to see you both."

"You too Marlee, thanks for having us," Jayden beams.

When I have a moment alone with my sister, my hands instantly reach for her baby bump. She laughs as I lean and whisper, "Your auntie can't wait to meet you."

"Don't give them any ideas, I don't want them coming out early."

I apologize, telling my future niece or nephew to stay put as we head to the kitchen. Marlee opens a bottle of wine for me while Dylan and Jayden pour themselves whiskey.

"It's a whiskey night?" I scrunch my nose in objection. I don't handle liquor well, Jayden knows that by now. If I consume any tonight, I won't be able to walk home.

"Yes Sky, we're celebrating!" Dylan throws his arms up and a loud 'woo' follows. He and Jayden clink their glasses and sip the brown liquid. Right when Marlee clinks her water glass with my wineglass, the doorbell rings.

I offer to answer, already knowing who's here. The moment I open the door, my arms shoot out for a hug.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you could make it, he's going to be so excited," I whisper into Addy's ear, embracing her. I give Jasper a big hug after.

Not far behind, Raven and Wyatt make their way up the front stairs.

I greet them both, taking the dessert they brought and then shout, "Jayden! Some people are here for you."

We enter the kitchen. Jayden looks at me first, then to the crowd behind me, and his eyes widen. "Addison? You told me you were sick in bed?" He says in confusion but still hugs his sister.

"Too bad, I lied." She pulls away. "However, this may be the last time I come here until this baby is out. So you have to come and visit me from now on."

A big grin takes over his face. "Deal, thank you for coming."

After catching up with everyone, we take our seats in the dining room.