Chapter Four - Realizations

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r  f o u r

{Realizations}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

"Get your tiny ass in here, it's cold outside!" Marlee shrieks, hustling me into her new home. I look around in awe. This is my first time seeing it fully furnished. My eyes drift upward to where a massive crystal chandelier hangs, illuminating the foyer.

"Holy shit, this is amazing." I run my hand across the textured wall, then over the small but classy stair-banister. She beams, and pulls me further into the house.

"I will give you a tour later," She states, dismissing my thoughts. "I told Dylan to give us a minute alone and wait with the guest."

I immediately stop walking and turn on my heel. "What do you mean guest? I thought I was your only guest?"

She didn't secretly invite Blake, did she?

"Since Blakey-poo isn't coming and you're not serious about him, you can keep your options open." My face falters. As much as I love her, I swear I could strangle her. I hate when she intervenes with my love life, especially without me asking.

She notices my annoyance and squares my shoulders in her direction. "Sky, you don't have to date him, just have fun and let loose."

Like a child, I roll my eyes and let her drag me into the living room. On the couch, Dylan and his guest are chatting with their backs toward me. I smile and walk over, extending my arms out to give Dylan a hug.

"Hey Sky, how are you?" He asks, releasing me. In my peripheral, the guest stands up to greet me. I'm dreading this.

"I'm good, how are you?"

He looks at Marlee, then back at me with a slightly disgusted yet playful look on his face. "Not good, your sister is bat-shit crazy."

Marlee leans over and flicks the side of his head, mumbling 'rude.' I agree with Dylan and we both laugh, even though it makes Marlee mad. When we get ourselves under control, I notice the stranger turn toward me with his arm extended. Our eyes lock before our hands do and he says, "Hello, I'm Jayden Brant, it's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, Jayden." I stare, phased by his good looks, and swallow hard before saying, "I'm Skylar Leighton."

"Skylar." He repeats my name. It rolls off his tongue like silk. A fiery feeling ignites inside me. I try not to observe him, but I can't help myself. He looks familiar, way too familiar. I study his face, trying to pinpoint where I've seen him before. He seems to do the same. However, Marlee grabs our attention by inviting us into the dining room.

We take our seats— Jayden across from me— and Marlee brings in the main dish and sets it on the trivet. "Everyone likes fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp, right? I probably should've asked before I made it." We all reassure her we like it and dig in.

For the next hour, we make small talk over silly things. Things you shouldn't talk about at dinner, like politics and religion. But agree with everything Jayden has to say. Every time I speak up or someone disagrees, he takes my side. Something about him is oddly familiar, but I can't figure out what.

"But! But!" Dylan shouts over everyone else, trying to ask me a question. "Do you find it ethical?"

I roll my eyes, looking at Jayden for back up. He winks at me like he knows precisely what I'm thinking. After he wipes his mouth with a napkin, he says, "That shouldn't matter in this situation."