Chapter Twelve - One Step at a Time

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t w e l v e

{One Step at a Time}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Wait, what?" Marlee tilts her head quizzically. I peer at Raven, who merely sips her coffee in reply.

"Please do not make me explain all over again," I whine like a child. We didn't want to risk Jayden seeing us at Mr. K's, so we have coffee at Marlee's. He seems to always be there nowadays.

I finally mustered up the courage to tell Marlee everything. She wasn't judgmental, mostly shocked at how I got myself into this mess. I've been asking myself the same question lately.

I haven't seen or talked to Jayden since last Sunday. I know his sister and her fiancé came to visit, and he disappeared from society. I know little about her, except that she is just as protective over him as he is to her. I'm not sure when he'll be back, but I'm slightly dreading it.

"According to Dylan, Jayden seems like a great guy." She pours herself more coffee. "Maybe he is pulling that elementary school crap where he is mean to you because he likes you?"

I laugh boisterously. "We're in our mid-twenties. Is that necessary?"

"Well, maybe he was being truthful when he said he doesn't know how to handle relationships," Raven adds and Marlee agrees. I pinch the bridge of my nose, annoyed that they're trying to justify his behavior. I want them as mad as I am.

"Okay, answer this..." Raven starts. "If Blake wasn't in the equation, would you be open to being with Jayden?"

"Yes." I blurt out without thinking twice. 

A sly grin creeps up both my best friend's faces, and I know there's no turning back after this admission.

If I'm being honest with myself, I feel something for Jayden. I've noticed I have little control over my emotions for him. My body seems to ignite when he's around, even if he isn't touching me. I hate it.

Then there's Blake. He was an open book, ready to tell me anything about himself in the blink of an eye. Jayden is like a puzzle, waiting to be put together. Something about him rings mysterious, and I'm highly intrigued.

"I say just go for it. Blake's a big boy, he'll deal. Anyway, he seems unaffected by everything."

I raise a brow. "Why do you say that?"

"You should see him flirt with coworkers now."

My eyes widen at this new information. An odd feeling bubbles through my stomach, I wouldn't describe the emotion as jealousy, it's more excitement. If Blake has moved on already, there is no problem with me doing the same. The only issue is I'd be moving on with his roommate.

"We could go out again and you could invite him!" Raven says excitedly. I grimace at the thought of being hungover and embarrassing myself again.

Marlee shrieks with an idea. She suggests hosting—yet another—dinner so Jayden and I can spend time together, while being in the presence of others. The more I think about it, the more I realize it isn't a bad idea. Neither of us has to plan anything, and it won't be at our houses or in public. It works.

I tell Marlee it's a good idea and she instantly texts Dylan, notifying him of the plans. Raven contacts Wyatt.

"This Saturday clear your calendars because we will finally help Sky get a boyfriend and learn how to commit."