Chapter Twenty Six - Lies

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t w e n t y s i x

{Lies}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Jayden's POV

As quietly and gently as I possibly can, I untangle my bare body from Sky's. She lets out a faint groan and rolls over, hugging the pillow my head just occupied. I smile.

Instead of getting up right away, I sit on the edge of the bed watching her chest rise and fall, deep in sleep. I think I've done this every morning since she's stayed here. I'm not sure why I find it comforting. Maybe it's knowing she is real, tangible, and an arm's length away. Part of me also wonders if she would find it creepy. If she does, she'll have to get used to it, especially if she's moving in.

Her asking to move in last night surprised me. Of course, the question has been lingering in my mind, but I didn't think she was ready, so I didn't bother asking. I'm not sure what is considered rushing things in a relationship, but I've never wanted to be with someone more than I want to be with Sky. And If I could wake up to her beautiful face every morning, I won't hesitate in doing so.

I believe she came into my life for a reason. If I had to go through all of this alone, I think I would've gone crazy. She makes me soft. She opens me up, tears me apart, and forces me to reevaluate myself in every good way possible. That's all anyone could ask for. I don't think she knows she does it, that's what makes it even more special.

I get up and put some clothes on, then head downstairs. The smell of coffee sifts through the air and I notice Addy sitting at the table with a mug.

"I thought you weren't allowed to drink coffee while pregnant?"

She looks up, startled by my presence, then holds up her cup. "It's tea, dumbass. I made you coffee." She motions to the pot. I can't keep the grin off my face. As much as we argue, I've missed her. Sometimes I wish we didn't live so far apart and work so much. Hopefully, the baby helps bring us together.

"Is Sky still asleep?"

I sit with my drink. "Yeah, she probably will be for another twenty minutes. She isn't an early riser like us Brant's."

"Same with Jasper. It's a blessing and a curse."

I snort. "Yeah."

We sit in silence, but there is a weird tension looming between us that needs addressing—if I knew what it was. But Addy seems to know. She pushes the handle of her mug, causing it to skid haphazardly around in circles. It looks like it could fall and spill at any moment. I know she wants to say something. This is what she does. She makes the situation uncomfortable and forces a conversation out of you.

"What is it, Addy?" I exhale.

"I like Skylar, a lot. She is perfect for you and fits right into our dysfunctional family. I would steal her for Bell and I if I could." I furrow my eyebrows, not knowing where she is going with this. She continues. "But if you will not give her your all, then end it. Don't lead her on Jay."

I sit back, slightly offended. "What do you mean, I'm not going to give her my all?"

"She confronted me about Olivia because you hadn't told her anything yet." She stares accusingly. "Don't use the poor girl for her social work skills and toss her away when this hearing is over."

"Is that what you really think of me? That I'd do that to her?" My knuckles go white before I realize I'm clenching my fist. I release my hand and lie them flat on the table. I would never do that to Skylar, and it makes me angry that Addy would even think that.

"Jayden, I'm not saying any of this to piss you off."

I close my eyes, collecting myself. "I didn't tell Sky anything because she didn't ask. I didn't think she wanted to know about how much I loved another woman. I wasn't keeping things from her to be malicious, I was doing what felt right."

She puts her hands out in defense. "I get it, I just worry about you. You stopped seeing your therapist and you grew distant. I'm allowed to worry."

I rub my hands over my face, the scruff scratches my palms reminding me I need to shave. But then I think of how Sky likes my beard. Sky. The thought of her raises questions. Yes, she wants to move in, but what about life after the hearing? Will she be done with me? Did we solely meet for this moment? 

"I can see the wheels turning in your head."

Sometimes I hate how well she knows me. "I stopped seeing my therapist because I was spending unnecessary money and not getting any better."

With a look of pity, she reaches across the table, taking my hand in hers. "I know this is all taking an emotional toll on you. Every important person in your life has left one way or another—except me, you'll never get rid of me."

We both smile empathically, knowing how each other feels. "You'll never get rid of me either. And I don't want to lose Sky, I think I lo-"

"Good morning!" Addy interrupts me. Her eyes dart toward the staircase where Skylar is walking down weary-eyed. When our eyes lock, the faintest smile lifts the corners of her mouth, and warmth that only she brings surges through my body.

"Good morning." She replies, sleepiness laced in her voice. She immediately gets coffee and joins us at the table. Addy eyes me warily, silently telling me our conversation is not over.

I ignore her, pressing a kiss to Sky's temple. "Good morning."

"Hi, I was just on the phone with Marlee, my sister," she says in clarification for Addy. "She invited us out for breakfast."

"Oh, that's perfect, then I'll head upstairs to wash up." Addy uses the table to hoist herself up. When she's gone, I turn to talk to Skylar.

"Did you sleep well?" I ask, knowing that we barely got any sleeping done.

She ponders playfully. "Hmm, no not really. But we should be getting used to that." Her comment makes me smile. 

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Thanks for sticking around though:) 

INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: annasteffeyy

vote • comment • follow

Thanks for reading, xoxo Anna :)