Chapter Twenty Eight - Just Breathe

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t w e n t y e i g h t 

{Just Breathe}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

"Say it again," I whisper with my eyes closed. Jayden's fingers dance along my bare back, prolonging my already immeasurable smile. His lips—which rest against mine—open, and I know those three silly words that I desperately need to hear are about to come out.

"I love you."

I close the remaining space between our lips.

"Your turn." He says when I pull away.

I mimic his exact movements from before then utter, "I love you."

To say something and mean it is entirely different from saying it just to say it. Especially when the person whom you're saying it with feels the same way. I learned that the hard way.

But I can't help but wonder why we let those three words hold so much weight. They can change relationship dynamics entirely. They sure changed the dynamic between Blake and me, even though our relationship was doomed either way.

Jayden breaks the silence. "It's almost time for work," he says. I groan, tucking my face in the crook of his neck. "But we still have enough time for a shower."

I lift my head, smirking. "I like the way you think."

In a matter of seconds, he hoists me up bridal style and we are on our way into the bathroom. Our shower isn't as efficient as it should be, and by the time I get to the office, I'm a couple of minutes late—which rarely happens.

"I got you coffee." Anaya sets the cup down with a grin. "Too busy doing aerobic activities?"

"Oh hush," I glare, but beneath is a hidden smile. She knows why I was late. I called her before I left to let her know, but I wasn't expecting her to get me coffee. I don't know how I functioned without her. Every chance I get, I put a good word in, but she doesn't know that.

"You have a couple coming in around nine and then another appointment at eleven."

"Thank you." She perches herself in a client chair as I talk. "I'm sorry I have been so spacey lately. I haven't been focusing on work as much as I should."

She waves her hands dismissively. "Sky, don't apologize. We all have those moments."

She doesn't fully know what is happening out of respect for Jayden, but she knows that it is personal. And when I told her, she never tried to pry, which I respect.

"How is everything with Owen?" I question, sorting through paperwork.

The corners of her mouth lift as I mention her boyfriend, and she tells me how he asked her to move in. I express my excitement for her and she vents about her worries. I reassure her she will be fine, and we continue talking until we have to immerse ourselves in our work.

My first appointment goes well. The family is lovely, and they made a good first impression, but there are still many more important meetings to come and many other impressions to make. My mind could change and theirs could.

After all these meetings, I also question how ready I am for a child, but then again this isn't about me. Jayden has proven himself, and I feel guilty for ever doubting his parenting abilities. Ellie has been on Jayden's mind longer than I have, in this situation I mean nothing.