Chapter Thirty Four - The Parnell's

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t h i r t y f o u r

{The Parnell's}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

"Are we good? Do we have everything we need?" Jayden asks for the one-hundredth time. I reassure him we do and he puts the car in drive. We're meeting the adoptive parents halfway in Baltimore, which is roughly three hours away. I'm hoping Jayden will keep himself together until then. I can tell he is freaking out.

Waiting all week to meet Ellie's adoptive parents was hell. Jay was constantly preparing what he was going to say and how he was going to say it. We both know that getting custody of Ellie is not possible. We're only hoping we can at least have a relationship with her.

We know little about her family other than their names: Amelia and Dean Parnell. They are both in their mid-thirties, don't have any other children, and they live in Charlottesville, Virginia. I tried doing some internet stalking, but couldn't find anything on them except a private Facebook account.

"I'm so nervous, and I'm not even meeting Ellie today."

"I know you are." I rub his knee to ease him. "But the hard part is almost over."

He takes my hand. "I know, but I am praying I like them. What if they're crazy? I couldn't bear the thought of leaving Ellie with them."

"We will not worry about what-ifs." I lean toward Jayden and place a hefty kiss against his cheek. He smiles, and while keeping his eyes on the road he purses his lips so I can kiss them, which I do.

"Have you talked to any of your colleagues?"

"Yeah, I told them everything we're doing. They are supportive, but still, want me to take the Leeman's down."

"How would you do that?"

He shrugs. "I probably won't, I don't have enough energy. To be honest, I'd be a lucky man if I never had to see their faces again."

I voice my agreement while watching the skyscrapers disappear behind us.

He winds the windows down, the breeze instantly tousles my hair about. My eyes close without thought and I take in the fresh air as we exit the city. We drive in silence, holding each other's hand.

I sense him looking in my direction. I peek open an eye and he averts his gaze back on the road. The second I close my eyes, I know he's staring again. I chuckle, nudging his shoulder.

"Do you need anything?"

"Just looking," He blatantly checks me out and I laugh again.

"Do you like what you see?"

His tongue wets his bottom lip then his teeth slowly graze. "Very much."

I warn him not to rile either of us up, we still have a three-hour journey ahead. He obliges, giving my inner thigh a quick squeeze. But when he's finished, he doesn't bother moving his hand.

We check into our hotel around five and take our bags to our room. Jayden looks like he might pass out, so I give him a granola bar to hold him over. He admits he's nervous but won't admit how nervous. I don't blame him, my stomach is in knots because in a half-hour we will sit across from The Parnell's, discussing the fate of Ellie and Jayden.

We both freshen up and change into something more presentable which screams friendly and capable of parenting; at least that's what we're aiming for.

Jayden stares at himself in the full-length mirror. I approach from behind, wrapping my arms around his waist, giving him a big hug. "The last time we took a road trip, we were trying to get information on Ellie, look where we are now."