Chapter Three

POV Tim

I'm back at the Bat Cave. The damp air clouds my tired lungs as I chug my coffee energy drink creation. It's almost undrinkable but with the all-nighters I pull this stuff is as essential as water to me. Damian watches in disguise as I finish my mug of it.

"How can you drink that stuff?" He wrinkles his nose. "It smells like tar."

"You should see how it taste." Says Dick as he continues searching through the files he stole from the hospital early tonight. "You should really sleep instead of staying up tonight, this isn't too important."

"I know," I agree, trading my mug for my tablet. "But with Bruce on patrol, someone has to find who is after Connie."

Damian growls, "Why are we even helping her? Harlots get into trouble with gangs all the time. We don't help them."

Dick turns away from his work and faces Damian, "This is because it's a personal matter, kiddo. And I know you don't wanna accept it but this girl could be your sister."

"Half sister," Damian corrects him looking up at the bat computer.

It shows a loading screen on it of a blood analysis. It will probably take another hour to finish it, but in the meantime there is a lot to do. My fingers trace the edges of my tablet as I look at resent gang activity in Crime Alley. It's impossible to narrow it down without more information, all I can do is glare at the screen.

"I'm heading out," I stand up suddenly.

"Where?" Dick asks as of he is going to stop me.

"I can't find anything more here," I explain, putting on my bike helmet. "I'm going to question Connie."

"Let me go," Dick states stepping in front of my bike.

"Oh no, I'm not spending any more time with that demon." I shift around him and jump onto my bike. "I'll be back with what we need."

The bike ride is short at top speed as I dodge cars and street lights. I ditch the bike two blocks away hidden behind a dumpster. The apartment sits in front of me as I spot an open window to swing through. Landing softly in the apartment I see what a mess it is. The air burns of smoke and cheap booze. Dirty seems to be the theme here and ripped wallpaper along with broken furniture are the finishing touches. Who am I to judge though.

"Connie Hughes," I call out searching the apartment.

"Sh-she not here." Robyn stands in the kitchen armed with a dull knife.

She shivers in her ratty tee shirt and torn jeans. Her hair is a deep purple cut at her shoulders like it had grown out wrong. I once again notice her right arm left at her side while she holds the knife in her shaking left hand.

I put up my arms to show peace, "I just here to talk." I tell her calmly, "Connie Hughes, where is she."

"Hell if I know," She spits in fear. "Who are you?"

"I'm Red Robin," Surely she has heard of me.

"Like the restaurant?"

"Like the vigilante."

She smirks a little and lows the knife. "Why are you here?"

"Like I said, I just wanna talk," I say again.

"Then talk," She proposes.

I raise an eyebrow that forms an unnatural fold in my cowl.

"Connie won't be getting back any time soon so you might as well talk to me." She offered, stepping closer to me.

I sigh, fine. "Your mother, Connie, got in trouble with some gang a few days ago. I have come to ask her a few questions."

"Last night she came home with about two thousand in hundreds and an old gun in her bag." She pauses, "She didn't have it when she left eight days earlier."

"Do you know where the gun is?" I question her lightly.

"She left it here this morning." She recalled, reaching into the counter behind her and pulling out an banged up GLOCK.

I reached to grab it but she pulled away protectively.

"Your mother is in danger and this gun could be the only lead we have to help her." I snapped before realizing my harsh tone. "Please, I need it."

She hands over the gun reluctantly as I tuck it into my belt.

My com buzzes, it's Bruce. "Red Robin, come in,"

I put up my hand in front of Robyn and turn away. "What is it?"

"Connie's dead, it was some of Penguin's gang who had hired her. She stole money from them four days ago and had been on the run until yesterday."

I looked at Robyn who looked back expectantly. "Do you think they'll still be looking for the money?"

"Yes." His voice was grim like always. "I'm heading to her apartment to make sure Robyn is safe."

"It's alright, I'm already here." I explained bleakly, "I'll get her out of the East End."

Robyn's face grew more confused as she realized we were talking about her.

"No, take her to the cave." He objected.

"What?" I exclaimed, "But we're not even sure if-"

"Blood or not she is Connie's daughter, she was a friend of mine before all this. I'm not letting her grow up in an orphanage."

When did Bruce care about Connie? When did he care if kids grew up without parents? When did he stop caring who knew about him being Batman? Especial this shady girl from Crime Alley.

"Okay," I don't question him, Batman knows best.

POV Robyn

"Come with me, I'll explain on the way." Red Robin tells me as prepares to jump out of my window.

"No way in hell," I reply to him crossing my arms. "Anyone who dresses up like a superhero and jumps out of windows is batshit crazy!"

"You're not safe here." He barked, "You leave now with me or you get mowed down by gang members when they get here. Your choice."

"First you wanna talk now you wanna run!" I taunt him.

"I don't have time for this!" He grumbles and wraps his arm around my waist.

"Hey!" I protest by hitting his arm but my shoulder locks up.

"Hold on," He warns as he throws himself out the window.

Wind rushes against my face making my eyes run with frozen tears. I see the ground getting closer as I cling to Red Robin for my life. We start to swing forward as the street below is only seconds away. I close my eyes shut as he braces his feet to stop us. My feet scrape the ground and come to a stop. I freeze up.

"Don't make me drag you." Red Robin warns pulling on my left arm to follow him into the alley.

"Sorry," I apologize without thinking. I don't want to tell him sorry, he just kidnapped me from my house.

He pulls an expensive bike out from behind a dumpster. I don't think I have ever seen such a nice bike before. I drag my fingers across the lustrous finish.

"Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before?" He asks me handing me the helmet.

"Do I look like I get out of the house often?" I pointed out.

He looked at me with little patience. "Just wear this and hold on."

I put on the helmet and climbed onto the motorcycle behind him. The more time I spend with this guy the more I dislike him. I'm not really a people person so I don't care too much that he doesn't like me either. Mostly I just disappointed that this is what vigilantes are like, commanding and rude, but how else would they be. Still, I have a gut feeling that something is wrong. I have no idea where I'm going or what's going on. I just hope it's that it's true that you can trust a bat to keep you safe.