Chapter 38

Kinda sorta didn't proof read this cause it's hell week of my play and I'm tired!! Enjoy and Savor!!!

POV Robyn

Roy leaves shortly after I put on the splint. I begged him to let me keep it on while he's gone and he reluctantly agreed but not before giving me some ground rules. Number One, don't fuck with it. Leave the wiring alone and don't touch the gears. Number Two, don't do any extreme stuff with it. Don't scale the side of a building or try skydiving, none of that. Number Three, whatever you do, don't try and take it off. It's expensive and complicated so if I break I buy it. Honestly, just the basic stuff I could have guessed. Still, I know he will be texting me reminders of these throughout the night.

As he leaves, I grab the walkie-talkie Jay gave me and flip it on again. I promised Roy I would look out for him tonight, though I doubt he will get into trouble. Jason can handle himself, even when he's not in costume. Besides, I couldn't really help him. The best I could do is call Roy and hope he can get there in time. But that won't happen, Jay's as tough as steel. He'll be fine, but that doesn't mean I don't worry.

Slidding in my socks down the hallway, I swing myself through the large passageway into the kitchen. Over the walkie-talkie, I hear Jay recite a monologue from Midsummer Night's Dream. I quickly learned of his passion for literature as he started teaching me. The first thing he made me read after all were snippets of Shakespeare plays. I enjoy listening to him recite these lines. He is at good at it if that makes sense. He passes in all the right places to bring the foreign words together like one organized train of thought. Someday I will try and get a recording of him doing this, but for now, I shall settle on overhearing it on the comns.

"O grim-look'd night! O night with hue so black!" Jay proclaims almost absentmindedly over the dull buzz of the comns. "O night, which ever art when day is not! O night, O night! Alack, alack, alack," His voice comes to a stop.

Continuing to make my grilled cheese sandwich, I dismiss the fact my background entertainment has stopped. Then after a long minute or so of radio silence, the loud ring of gunshots echo throw the link. Jumping at the loud sound, I drop the spatula to the ground making it raddle as it hits the cold stone flooring. I stumble back and take a breath. Calm down, I tell myself, it's just a noise, calm down. Regaining my composure, I grab the spatula off the floor, quickly run it under the sink, and return to my cooking. After two more minutes of gun fighting, I hear Jason scream. My blood goes cold as he yells a string of curses. Throwing the spatula out of my hands, I run to the walkie-talkie and practically tackle it off the countertop.

"Jason!" I yell into it old walkie desperately pressing every button trying to get the damn thing to work. "Jason!"

Dashing for the burner phone Jay got me, I call Roy. I call him once, I call him twice, I call him three times. No reply. I'm really starting to panic now. Going to dial the redhead bastard one last time, I hear Jay speak up again.

"Hey, Robyn, if you're listening, call Roy and tell him to get his ass over here." He gasps, out of breath.

"I can't!" I shout back out the useless black box, but he can't even hear me.

For the last time, my phone goes to voicemail and I'm left listening to the same message.

"Hey, it's Roy. Leave some words."

"Jesus Christ, Roy!" I lecture my phone, "Jason dying and you won't even fucking pick up!"

Chucking my phone aside, I being to break down. Over the walkie-talkie, I listen to the unsteady breathes of a no doubt injured Jason. Tears are streaming down my cheeks as I hear the pain in them. He's dying out there. He told me he would be fine, why is he dying?