Chapter Sixty-One

BLAM, 3,000 more words of pure fountain fresh fanfic for you guys. Enjoy and Savor!!!

The tension of the room softens with whiskey, and by the end of the hour, everyone was on their third glass. I even managed to convince Jason to pour me a small glass of it, despite Roy's objections. But even with the liquor, the penthouse was quiet. Babs was hanging off Jason or Dick from moment to moment, taking turns hopping between the two. Her ginger hair pours over her shoulders as tears come and go with bittersweet memories. Whatever she said worked. The two boys even smile at each other, laughing with nostalgia as Babs tells stories of her early days as Batgirl. Tim lurks in the corner. I can tell he isn't as eager to share memories of Bruce as the others are. Honestly, I don't blame him. Roy and Kori hang back, talking between themselves in the kitchen while Selena supervises the eldest bats. She doesn't say much, only watches the family biting down on her bottom lip.

I stand beside Jason, half listening to Babs story, before Dick pulls me into a bear hug.

"How are you holding up, Robbie?" He asks me as we pull apart.

"Robbie?" I give him a look.

He smiles, suppressing a cough again. "I thought it was-" He clears his throat, "-about time you got your own nickname. Though Red Hummingbird would be my second pick."

"They told you about that?"

"It's an awesome code name, couldn't have picked better myself." Dick gives my hair a slight ruffle before Babs pulls him away with a question.

I smile to myself a little. I guess it was stupid of me too think that he wouldn't have known I've been out there, or that he wouldn't know my code name. I wonder if he has seen me out there yet?

"Do you think someone should check on Dami?" Dick asks, glancing at down the hall to where the boy had disappeared earlier.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about him, but I think I lost the right to worry a long time ago. We haven't spoken since I left the manor and I don't think he even wants to. It's like he can't look me in the eye anymore. But I understand, I left. I didn't even say goodbye or that I was sorry. I never meant to abandon him like that.

But if he doesn't want to let me in again, honestly, I deserve it. He had just started to open up to me when I had left. He told me about him and his mom, how she wasn't exactly kind to him either. He used to call me sister and check up on me. I can't imagine what it did to him when I left or when they had thought I died. I say that, but I know I can. Connie abandoned me, but I can't think about that without crying.

"We should let him be," Jason says, "I mean, 'don't think the kid really wanted to have of us here anyway. Best not to push it, right?"

Babs gave Jason a look, "Still, he shouldn't feel like he has to be alone right now. Robyn?"

"Mhm?!"

"Why don't you go talk to him," She nods towards the door at the end of the hall. "I know he's been wanting to talk to you."

I doubt it. I bet he wants me to jump off a bridge. "Are you sure?"

She only smiles, pushing me to my feet. I awkwardly stumbling down the hall and towards the door. Honestly, besides Jason I think I'm the worst person for this. Surely he would rather see Dick? I mean, half-sister that practically disowned herself. Not really the best candidate for grief counselor. Still, my knuckles rasp on the door and I bit my tongue for an answer.

"Go away, Grayson," I hear him say, not harshly, through the door.

I clear my throat, "Actually, ah, it's Robyn."