5. Konoha

Rin's POV
****
    Haruto and Yona kept a steady pace as we made our way across the rough terrain and across the borders. Inside, Mizuchi kept complaining about how slow the journey was, but I felt like he was just doing that to make me feel better. Fear. It was both my friend and my enemy as we saw the outline of Konoha.

  The two guards with the flak jackets looked down at us. "Amegakure?" He asked, looking at our headbands.

  "Hai," we all chorused as I felt my heart drum too quickly. I had never been to Konoha before; never grew up where my parents came from. And now...to stop a massacre fueled by hatred.....I still felt doubt rising inside of my heart. I hated myself for feeling this way. Weren't shinobi supposed to be fearless? I had grown up with the Akatsuki yet the inside of my chest still shriveled like a frightened mouse.

  "Alright—you can go into that building over there—" the guard nodded as all three of us stepped onto the dry dirt and into the busy village. All around, merchants peddled their wares while shops were open, smelling of delightful new things that needed to be eaten. Despite myself, my stomach growled.

  Haruto smirked at me, clearly hearing the noise. "I forgot how much of a sweet lover you were—" he teased as he pointed to the window that showcased mouthwatering dango.

  "Shut up," I muttered underneath my breath as Yona simply cracked a grin at me.

  "Don't worry," she soothed, "you'll be ever more hungry when the fighting begins."

  "How is that supposed to make me feel better?" I asked.

  "It wasn't."

  "Bitch," Mizuchi mumbled underneath his breath as we headed towards the indicated building. A few jonin were present inside and upon seeing us, directed us towards the doors of a large room. "Alright," I breathed, "we can do this, we can totally—" Before I could finish, both Haruto and Yona pushed open the doors and nearly shoved me inside as I stumbled.

  My cheeks flamed as I saw the room packed with other genin who stared at us challengingly; an assortment of danger and possible hidden kekkei Genkai. I could almost hear a pin drop as Haruto and Yona marched in with their chins raised while I shuffled meekly in. Nervousness tugged at me; I couldn't use my Sharingan, lest I be discovered by Danzō and the rest of the Uchiha. It was like being stranded in a den of lions without a weapon. I would have to rely on other means, preferably not Mizuchi, or else I would only attract more attention.

  "What the fuck are you looking at—" Mizuchi growled at several of them as I tried not to wince at his tone of voice. It was a good thing that he was sealed inside of me or else he would have lashed out on those judge mental glares. However, the stares soon turned away as another batch of genin walked in and the whole process repeated itself again and again. When the door remained closed for a while, there was a puff of smoke as I noticed the long line of jonin who were standing there. My eyes skimmed the crowd to see a muscular man with a stern scowl.

  "I am Utai Nakamura, your proctor for the first part of the Chunin Exams—"he gave us an intimidating look, his glare enough to make me shiver a bit as his eyes fell on me for a moment. My heart froze but he continued to scan the other genin, making me relax immediately. "Now let me get a few ground rules down—" he said in a low voice, "there are to be no competitions and the like without permission of the proctors. And even if you are permitted, actions that lead to the death of an opponent are not permitted either. Any pig that screws with me will be disqualified immediately—" He rumbled the last part as I pinched myself to keep from being melted into a puddle.

  "Do I look like a fucking pig to you?!" Mizuchi fumed, "let me at him, Rin—I am a grown...ass....dragon for fuck's sake!"

  "Quiet, Mizuchi," I mentally told him as he drew to a pause sulkily, "and besides, he doesn't even know you exist."