31.

Warning: Self harm ahead. Don't read if you are not comfortable.

******

"Second dam....relea—"

Blood spurted into the air, an arc of pure scarlet. Rin's eyes widened, catching the droplets as she saw a blood stained sword.

She saw the form of Tsunade shielding her, the sword impaling her through her stomach. She shook a little from the impact but Tsunade's voice was no longer trembling. Rin fell to her knees. Tsunade stayed standing.

"Ts-Tsunade-shishou—" Rin shook violently.

She saw black lines stretching down her arms and as Tsunade turned to look at her, the seal glowing a bright violet in her forehead.

"I won't let you die, Rin—" Her voice was stern, but towards the end, it was filled with burning emotion, "not like Nawaki....not like Dan— I don't need another death on my list."

Tsunade. Tsunade had stopped shaking. She did not falter at the sight of blood.

  Rin's arms shook as she sank to her knees, blood dripping down on the ground, dirt turning rust red. Rin's vision swam as she heard the sound of blows and the ground splitting underneath Tsunade's pure strength. The world was spinning around her and she felt sick to her stomach.

  Rin inhaled shakingly, placing one foot in front of the other as she stood up. She closed her eyes, waiting for the vertigo to subside as she felt her entire body scream in white hot pain. "Mizuchi—think you can allow one more punch without taking any energy from the second dam?" Rin asked in her mind.

  Mizuchi strained in exhaustion as Rin knelt down, watching Tsunade evade all of Orochimaru's attacks and bending upon him, a rage from hell itself. Rin knew the side effects of mitotic regeneration. Tsunade's own lifespan would be shortened if she used it for far too long. "We need to end this now—" Rin murmured through cracked lips as she gathered all of her remaining chakra and holding her right fist in her left hand, she pooled it inside her fist.

  "Sensei—" She heard Sasuke groan, his eyes blinking slowly, "I couldn't do anything to help—I—"

  "Shh—" Rin hushed him, "you did more than I could ever ask for. Just stay here. I'll finish this."

  "He wanted my eyes—" Sasuke murmured, his voice shaking and Rin could see the look in his eyes mirror her own. No matter how much of a prodigy Sasuke was, he was still a child. He was still thirteen. He was still afraid. "And I couldn't do anything to stop him—"

  Anger burned in the pit of Rin's stomach, flaring into hatred that was so strong that Rin could almost taste it. "I'll take care of this," she promised, "I won't let him hurt you again, Sasuke."

  "Sensei—"

  Rin activated her Sharingan as the three black tomoe spun into existence. Tsunade had missed by a fraction, her fist splitting open the ground before Orochimaru, sending him flying backwards. Rin saw the opportunity and broke in, one hand wielding a kunai and the other squeezed into a tight fist.

  As Orochimaru swung his kunai, Tsunade glimpsed Rin and allowed herself to be impaled, her hand clasping around the sword and keeping it inside her body, Orochimaru unable to remove it with her brute strength blocking him. His eyes widened for a fraction of a second before Rin's fist hurtled towards his face, smashing into his cheek—the impact crumpling the entire facial structure. Chakra exploded out of her fist, her body leeched of its strength but not before Rin swung her kunai, nailing him precisely in the trachea.

  Rin remembered through the haze of her mind, the pressure points that she had instructed to Shisui.

  A medical nin never lost her mark, and neither would her student.