6. Shisui Uchiha

Rin's POV

****

   After the first part of the Exam was over, we were all given a few days to recuperate before the second exam-- judging from that alone, the second one was going to be the physical taxing portion. 

  Needless to say, we were all in need of some practice before the showdown. 

  Haruto and Yona suggested taijutsu sparring matches and I consented. The first match was between Yona and I-- the girl squaring up with her shuriken and kunai that she used in conjunction to overwhelm her enemies. It would be slightly harder this time since I wasn't using my Sharingan. 

  Yona spun a shuriken towards my direction before I dodged it easily, but not before Yona revealed the transparent ninja string and reeled it back towards my neck. 

  "Shit, dodge Rin!" Mizuchi yowled as I ducked, the instrument slicing off a few strands of my green hair. 

  I held up my kunai as Yona brought her own down against mine, sparks flaring before I aimed a kick at her abdomen. A parry, a thrust--- then, my kunai clattered out of my hand, but not before I grabbed Yona's wrist and in a movement taught to me by Hidan, brought my forehead forwards so that it clashed against her headband. The girl winced in pain but recovered quickly and swiped her feet against my tendon; flooring me as she spun her kunai to my neck. 

   "Yield?" 

  "Yield," I groaned painfully, trying to sit up. 

  I was hopeless at taijutsu. Years of experience in my life in the other timeline hadn't changed that fact. Before, when I could use Mizuchi or my Sharingan, I could usually slip out of situations with some quick thought water jutsu or even genjutsu that Itachi taught me. I felt a surge of pain when I remembered his face....his death, his fate. I had to prevent all of that. And that meant there was no room for error. I wasn't about to fail because of my pathetic hand to hand combat skills. 

  I rubbed my shoulder warily. "You two should spar together-- I'm the worst out of the three of us at that and I'm holding you back. I'm going to go and practice my shuriken; see if I at least can throw a straight target." 

  Yona nodded, her mouth quirked in slight amusement. "Shoddy excuse for not getting chewed out for that atrocious roundhouse kick, but I'll let you out on this one." 

  "Bitch," Mizuchi muttered underneath his breath, "I could crush a minuscule brat like that in my true form." 

  "No assaulting minors, Mizuchi--" 

  "Whatever." 

 I rolled my eyes slightly as I chose a secluded clearing for a quiet practice. Concentration was key for a good arm and a steady focus. Trying to adjust not using the kekkei genkei, I took out my pack of dangerous tools and took out a set of shuriken. The targets were nailed in the trees as part of the extensive training grounds that Konoha had prepared for the visiting genin. I eyed them and readying my wrist, I threw them with a steady hand as all five hit the target-- two of them on the outer circle. I frowned. Itachi would have been severely disappointed at my performance. 

  I stiffened. The feeling.....someone watching me.....

  I used my chakra to poke around at my surroundings, my ears open to the slightest bit of sound; feeling defenseless without my Sharingan. I forced myself to relax and bent down to take another set of shuriken. I adjusted my grip on them before flicking them out and feeling a surge of chakra from behind me, I took a defensive stance and spun all four towards the threatening presence behind me. Two nearly hit while one careened to the side and the last one spun straight at his face but the stranger caught it between two fingers as easily as if he was catching a butterfly.