38.

"Shall we begin?" Kabuto's voice rang clearly as Shisui instinctively moved in front of Rin. 

   Utakata grit his jaw as he saw Hotaru trapped within the crystal. Shisui gave him a sidelong glance, probably trying to decipher what the ex Kiri nin would do. Would he betray them to save her? Would he go to Kabuto's side? 

  Rin wouldn't have blamed him if he did. After all, she too would have risked anything for the people she loved and cared about. 

   Which was why she had no intention of dying today. 

   Rin closed her eyes before the Mangekyou spun into existence. Before Guren could even move, she had used Kamui to seal away Hotaru into the space time dimension. Kabuto's eyes narrowed. The technique was foreign for everyone but the Uchiha and especially, the secrets of the Mangekyou Sharingan were zealously guarded. Rin felt a very slight strain in her eyes, but she pushed it away as her regular three tomoe Sharingan spun into existence. 

  At that moment, Guren summoned her crystal technique, thousands of shards of crystals forming from the water. Rin gripped the kunai tightly within her hand. So, she could form crystals from the elements around her. 

   Kabuto disappeared in a puff of smoke as the Nakamura siblings struck forwards to Rin. He knew that Shisui could use his genjutsu to disarm him and disappeared before the actual fight started. Yakushi Kabuto was always good at running. 

  Rin's hands shook as she saw the forms of the ones she once called teammates. They clearly didn't recognize her but Rin forced herself to be strong. 

  Before they could even hit her, Shisui had formed the seals for the Fireball jutsu. The siblings jerked away, their eyes narrowed. "You shouldn't have to fight your own comrades," Shisui's voice was commanding, his Sharingan spinning, "Utakata and I will take care of things on our end. I trust you can take care of the Crystal wielder?" 

  Rin felt her chest tighten as her hands squeezed into a fist. She nodded. 

  Rin walked upon the water to where Guren was still poised, her crystal projectiles in the air. 

  "A medical nin should never let herself get hit." 

  Tsunade's first teaching to her. 

  Guren's hands went down and the crystal projectiles spun through the air dangerously, veering towards her face. Rin shot forwards, her Sharingan taking in all of the weapons as she narrowly missed a few of them while she moved from side to side through the stream of crystals. Her kunai flashed, deflecting the ones that headed towards her vital points. Like clinking coins, the crystals plinked from her kunai to the lake. Rin flipped back and forwards to avoid and dodge, her hands and feet seemingly conducting a graceful dance. 

  Tsunade had trained her first how to evade attacks. 

  Rin saw Guren's eyes narrow as she stepped backwards before creating a crystal dragon that roared as it circled into the air. Rin dodged the first attack, vaulting backwards and sliding on the water, her hand pressed against the surface. 

  "Are you not worried for her?" Utakata asked as he prepared to use his bubble jutsu, his eyes narrowed as he fought off Yona Nakamura who had an uncanny ability for Earth jutsu. 

  "I know her strength and I trust in her," Shisui replied, his eyes trained on Haruto, "I know Rin has worked hard to get to where she is. And I trust in her abilities--" He wove a familiar set of hand signs. 

  "Shunshin no jutsu!" Utakata barely had time to blink before afterimages of Shisui appeared, acting much like Kage bunshins as they surrounded and overwhelmed Haruto Nakamura.