7. Those Who Survive

Rin's POV
*****
  "Self-sacrifice....a nameless shinobi—who protects peace within its shadow....."

  Shisui Uchiha.

  Itachi had told me about the shinobi who taught him so much—the shinobi that I looked up to for his teachings. Now standing in front of me.

  "I would have to get him alone," I thought, "away from Danzō and any ears—I need to talk to him about the Massacre somehow...."

  "And how?" Mizuchi snorted, "you think he's going to believe you when you say you are a time traveler?"

  "I'll have to convince him to use genjutsu on me," I shot back, "then he'll see the truth and we can prevent all of this."

  Mizuchi growled, "Rin, be reasonable. He's a jonin of Konoha—if he is caught using genjutsu on a genin of Amegakure, how much trouble is he going to get in?"

  "We won't be caught."

   "Rin—"

  As of now, I turned my attention back to Shisui who began speaking in a professional manner, "This is the Forest of Death—named that way for a reason, I assure you. You all will be given a piece of paper that you will sign, relieving Konoha of any responsibilities should you get maimed, traumatized, or in the worst sense—killed. The object of the second part of this exam is to show us your abilities—each team will be given a flag. The object is to defend your own while capturing another team's flag. Once obtaining both flags, you will proceed to the center as indicated in this map," he pointed to the dot on the page, "any questions?"

   A tentative hand rose into the air, revealing a blond haired genin of Otogakure. "Yes?"

  "Should our lives be in danger, will any of the jonin step in?"

  Shisui gave him a look before exchanging another look with his compatriots. "That remains to be seen," he said easily, "however, we will step in when it is absolutely necessary."

  The genin from Otogakure shook.

  "Fucking brilliant," Mizuchi cracked his neck, "What next? Lave pits that will open up underneath our feet?" I took the piece of paper and signed it.

  If I survived the Fourth Shinobi War, I could survive this....right?

  We were given our flag before the gates opened and we all took off for different locations to put our flag down. Yona suggested a rocky outcropping with trees around it. "That way—" she explained, "we can guard, hidden in the trees and this vantage point is that we can look for other flags at this height—"

  I nodded at the plan as we placed our flag and decided who should guard and who should scout ahead. "Some will be on aggressive stance," Haruto explained, "they will do anything to take an opponent's flag, just for their pride. We should pin them down and try to get one of their flags. We can't just mount on defense though—if we don't have another flag, it would meant squat if we can't get into the building."

   "We need to send two people to look for other flags," I murmured, "one is not enough to fend against other genin who's abilities we don't yet know."

  The Nakamura twins uneasily nodded. "I'll be defense," the words slipped from my mouth, "if they are monitoring our abilities, then it will be better if we returned with a flag that we captured from the opposition than just our own flag. It would show our superiority. You two have trained together for years and you would be better off attacking the other teams. I'll guard the flag."

  Yona gave me a calculating look. "Are you sure?"

  "It's the best option we have."

  Yona exchanged a glance with Haruto before she said uneasily, "We'll try to get back as soon as possible—be safe, Rin."