22.

Rin strolled away from the training grounds, going to report the success of Team Seven. The teacher, Iruka, seemed to be happy as he heard the results, his eyes shining. Rin smiled as she exited the building. It was late afternoon, the sun bleeding into the clouds.

She stopped in the middle of the road when she saw Shisui waiting for her beside the building. He waved a hand lazily in greeting, his face in a wide grin as she felt her cheeks flush. She turned her head, trying to disguise the blush in her face.

Rin attempted to walk past him but not before he shunshinned in a blink in front of her, raising an eyebrow.

"Ignoring me? I'm hurt—" Shisui grinned as he placed a hand over his heart dramatically.

"You're one to talk—stalking me like a creepy stalker—" Rin shot back as Shisui's smile didn't even falter for an instant.

"I just wanted to walk you home," he said, shoving his hands in his pockets and smiling his disarming smile, "is that so bad?"

"I mean, no, but—"

"Excellent," he replied, giving her a cheeky wink as Rin felt awkwardness come between them as he walked beside her.

They walked in silence.

"I heard Sasuke passed," he said, "he was practically bouncing around the place."

Rin smiled a bit as Shisui turned to look at her for a moment. He stopped as she looked at him questioningly. "Itachi gives him the recognition that Fugaku doesn't give him," Shisui said softly, "but as you know, with Itachi's duties at ANBU and all..."

"I'll keep an eye out on him," Rin replied, shoving her hands in her pockets, "technically, I'm his distant cousin anyways."

Shisui laughed, "That's good, it's just that I see him as my own little brother. I have full confidence in you."

They arrived at the door before Shisui saluted her with two fingers. "See you—" his form flickered and he disappeared.

"Still in denial, Rin?" Mizuchi asked, his voice teasing, "you look like a tomato now."

Rin sighed as she opened the door to see Obito and Kakashi wrestling over the kitchen. "Give me the pan!" Obito hissed as Kakashi simply narrowed his eye.

"You don't cook fish like that!" Kakashi shot back as they were fighting over the pan.

Rin sighed as she managed to placate them both and they ended up sitting together around the table with take out.

"That was Shisui from before, wasn't it?" her father gave her a sidelong glance.

"No that was freaking Madara, bitch--" Mizuchi mumbled.

"Hai..." Rin answered, gauging her father's reaction.

He looked at her curiously. "You two hang out often?"

"No," Rin denied furiously, "we don't."

Her father's eyebrow raised, catching the tone in his daughter's voice as well as her slightly reddened cheeks. "Oh..okay then," he left the topic be, choosing to go into the kitchen, "it just looked like you were friendly back there...."

Rin nearly spit out her water.

"We aren't," she said, "we totally aren't. Right, Kakashi-san?" She hit him in the ribs as the older man winced in pain.

"Totally...." Kakashi replied dryly, "totally....."

Rin grinned sheepishly as Obito gave his friend a pointed look.

The next morning, Rin woke up early and tied her headband before she arrived at the training grounds. The genin were already assembled.

"Weaknesses," Rin stated as she strode towards them, "that is the focus of today's lesson. Now, each of you tell us what your weaknesses are."

"I have none," Sasuke replied readily.

Naruto squared up, glaring at his own made rival, "I have none either, dattebayo!"

He wasn't about to let Sasuke get the better of him.

"What about you, Sakura?" Rin pressed.

The pink haired kunoichi bowed her head slightly. "I'm only book smart," she admitted, "I lack chakra and I am subpar at ninjutsu."

"Well—" Rin chirped, "you pass the test. Sasuke, Naruto, you failed the lesson."

"What?" The two of them sat up while Sakura looked at her in astonishment.

   "I have read your files, I already know what you are good at and what you lack," Rin said, "the two of you failed to identify your weaknesses and I don't believe you are that stupid to not know what they are."

   "If you already have our files, then why ask us?" Sasuke asked, narrowing his eyes.

   "That's simple," Rin said, "I wanted you to know what your strengths and weaknesses are. I wanted you to admit that you lack in certain areas. If you don't even know what your weaknesses are, then there is no point to even be training. Pride becomes the downfall of a shinobi and when you act arrogant as to think that you have no flaws, then you are unable to coordinate efficiently with your group. Therefore, you two failed while Sakura passed this test."

   Sasuke looked at his feet before he mumbled, "I'm too hasty. And I don't have the Sharingan. I need to improve on learning more jutsu."

  Naruto looked at his rival before conceding, "Iruka sensei says I use too much chakra," Naruto scratched his head, "is that a weakness?"

  "We can work on it and improve it," Rin said before she pointed to a spot outside the walls, "now go and give me fifty laps around Konoha."

  Sasuke managed it, though he looked sweaty and tired while Naruto gasped like a bleached whale and Sakura fell over a couple of times. She didn't give up, however, and just grit her teeth and continued to run.

  Rin knew she was pushing them hard, but as their sensei, it was the most she could do for them.

  Rin taught them a couple of drills that they were to perform each morning before she watched as they rehearsed their Taijutsu maneuvers. Sakura seemed to have a hidden strength as she punched and kicked at the targets. Rin corrected their stances, then had them deflect shuriken.

When the day ended, they were all wheezing in the ground, even Sasuke. Naruto's stomach growled with the ferocity of a gale. "I'm...so....hungry, dattebayo—" he lay lifelessly on the ground, as did Sakura.

  "You might as well call it a break," Mizuchi advised, "they look pretty fucked up to me."

  Rin nodded before she clapped her hands. "Alright, since you three were good and obedient, why don't I treat you all to ramen?"

  Naruto shot up, new strength blazing in his limbs while the other two were still keeled over from exhaustion. "I live, dattebayo!" He raised his arms dramatically as Rin cracked a smile despite herself.

  "I don't like ramen," Sasuke said bluntly.

  Hellfire caught in Naruto's eyes as he grabbed Sasuke by the scruff of his shirt. "What do you mean you don't like ramen???!!!!!"

  "Did you not hear me, dobe?" Sasuke shot back.

  "Damn you....teme!" Naruto wheeled back his fist before Sasuke used a substitution jutsu and Naruto ended up punching a log.

  "COME BACK HERE YOU BASTARD!!!!" Naruto ran towards Sasuke, who shot remarks back at him while Sakura just watched.

  Rin rolled her eyes, but despite herself, a corner of her heart warmed.

  *****

Any thoughts? I know it's kind of a filler chapter but action will soon come, don't worry. After all, you haven't forgot about the Akatsuki, did you?

  Rin seems to be having feelings for Shisui, and Obito kind of noticed—O-O Guess we'll have to see what Shisui does next.

Thank you all for reading an please vote and comment below :D