16.

Obito's POV *le gasp*
*****

    The discussions were as dead as the Six Paths of Pein.

  It was almost amusing how a little thing such as peace was made so complicated by both sides—-but then again, arrogance and ambition were hard things to lose; something that I had noticed in the elders who had obviously supported Danzō. My lip curled in distaste before the Third Hokage finally signed it along with Fugaku Uchiha after a few more compromises were made. It wasn't the best treaty—far from it, but it was enough. And enough was all I needed.

  "How disgusting, you've made your own daughter into a bargaining chip," the voice inside of my head whispered as I clenched my fist.

  It was right. I was worse than trash, but there was nothing else that I could do. After I heard that Rin was almost killed, I remembered my heart nearly bursting out of my chest. The same fear when Rin Nohara died. I won't deny it. I took savage pleasure in killing off Danzō, but as I did so, there was one thing that was clear. I enjoyed hurting him because it was easier than blaming it on myself. It was easier than admitting that I nearly let Rin die. It was easier than admitting that I made my own child's life a hell hole by starting the war.

  I once told Nagato that peace was a foolish ideal, helping him transform successfully to Pein. But as I looked at the leaders signing the treaty, I couldn't help but feel a bit of it creep into my heart. Bloodshed was averted. There were costs, yes, but that was the point of a compromise. Sacrifice. Sacrifice for the greater good for all.

  Afraid that if Rin lived directly with the Uchiha, that Mizuchi could be used against them, the elders insisted for her to be put underneath the guardianship of the Sannin, Jiraiya, and be away from Konoha for at least two years. A security measure. In turn, I had volunteered myself as a seal along with Rin. To stay in Konoha and work under ANBU.

  It was better for her that way.

  Negotiations with Amegakure had also proceeded according to plan and the Akatsuki were also negotiated with to become allies. Pein had given approval for this to be done.

  As the Council was dismissed, I did not miss Fugaku who walked over to me. "I'm glad you survived," he said, his face expressionless but I could see the faintest flicker in his eyes, "the entire clan grieved when we learned of your death."

  I nodded, not knowing what to say to that. "It's good to be back," I murmured.

  Fugaku nodded firmly, his eyes trained upon mine. "Not everyone in the Uchiha will appreciate the treaty," he said, "the radical ones will be hard to calm despite us getting our political power back. Wounds are slow to heal."

  "That's why I agreed to her leaving Konoha with Jiraiya-sama," I said softly, "so that she won't have to encounter such confrontations from her own clan."

  Fugaku lowered his head. "Arigato, Obito—" he said, his arms crossed, "I have to commend you on your presence of mind for proposing this treaty. You have done a great service to the clan and the village."

  "No, thank you for agreeing to it, Fugaku-San," I murmured as I inclined my head respectfully before the Uchiha Leader nodded and left with his kinsmen.

  I took a deep breath as I turned to see the inevitable.

  Kakashi Hatake.

  His hands were limp at his sides, his eyes filled with tears.

  I inhaled sharply.

  The Kakashi I knew never let his emotions show.

  Did he change so much in those past few years?

  "You did," the voice in my head whispered, "just see how much you changed from that hopeful baka with foolish ideals."

  We both stared at each other, not knowing when and how to make the next move. I saw guilt weigh down Kakashi's entire body; regret like a second skin. "Obito—" he started, his fists clenched as I saw just how much pain he went through. My eyes slid to the Sharingan that I had given him all of those years ago.

  "Obito, I—" Kakashi's voice trembled violently as I saw the emotionless facade breaking slowly, fracturing like a broken mirror.

  "Stop," my mouth moved before my mouth. In my mind, I remembered Rin being pierced through the chest with his Chidori as I sank into the deepest part of hell and back and then back under again. I remembered his Chidori cutting through her as she died. I remembered holding her body in my arms. A part of me wanted to lash out, to blame him for everything.

  My fist shook. I closed my eyes before taking several deep breaths, the breaths rattling deep inside my chest.

  Curse of Hatred. This was its true power.

  Forgiveness.

  Did I still have it within me after all?

  I remembered what Rin showed me. The deaths that she had been through. That night when she....when she wanted to kill herself after the carnage.

  "Forgive him, Obito," I could almost hear Rin's soft voice and smile, those brown eyes gentle, "you are still best friends."

  I inhaled sharply before opening my eye to look at him.

  Once rival.

Twice enemies.

  Three times and now, I knew what I wanted. For us to be friends again.

  "It's okay," I forced out at first but the words became more natural as they left my mouth, "it wasn't your fault. I know Rin threw herself in front of your Chidori. So don't blame yourself, Bakashi." I never once imagined that these words would leave my mouth.

  Kakashi's eyes widened as he looked at me.

  At that moment, I knew I couldn't help myself. I walked over to him and embraced him tightly as Kakashi returned it almost immediately. I felt wetness at the edge of my eye. Great. Now we're both crying like a bunch of idiots.

  "I missed you, Obito."

  "Whatever, Hatake."

  I broke it hurriedly, the whole ordeal a bit too mushy for my taste as I wiped my eye as Kakashi did the same. When we both looked up at each other, our lips twitched into an unconscious smile.

  "I'm a bit hungry after killing Danzō," I made the first move, "you want to go and get some dango?"

  Kakashi rolled his eyes, now reminding me of his past self. "I hate sweets."

  "Fuck you," I replied, as we both smirked at each other.

  We ended up drinking sake instead.

*****

I have to admit, it was a bit emotional writing this, but it wasn't that bad I hope.

So Kakashi and Obito are back together, and as much as it seems that everything is solved, there are still inner character conflicts to be solved and of course, as Fugaku said, the treaty doesn't fix everything in a flash.

And of course, we must think about Shisui and Rin....after all, what's a book without a Shisui ship? XD For now, their relationship is left at friendly at best, and it's going to take awhile to develop it.

Of course, when it eventually happens, we have to take into consideration in how the Akatsuki would react to that relationship......