21.

Rin Uchiha stood in the middle of the field, watching as Naruto was trying in vain to free himself from the trap that he caught himself in. He was easily lured.

"Sasuke must be up and moving about now," she thought as Mizuchi snorted.

  At that moment, she saw Sakura and Sasuke emerge from the bushes, abandoning all thoughts of sneaking up on her. Sakura was standing behind Sasuke, using him as a shield while Sasuke held a kunai in front of his body expertly.

  "Sakura won't support him," Rin thought, seeing the girl tremble and quake, "she would probably cry for his aid. This isn't teamwork, this is disaster."

  "Tough love, Rin—" Mizuchi muttered in her ear, "they're going to die in the field if you let them remain like this."

   Rin activated her Sharingan, the three black tomoe pronounced against the vermillion. Sasuke recoiled immediately as she fixed all three with a piercing look.

  "Alright, let's settle this the hard way," she said as she took a step forwards as the genin backed away.

*****

  Sasuke was dazed for a moment before he saw Rin Uchiha dart forwards with tremendous speed as he barely blocked the kunai strike that sent him stumbling back despite his good balance. She was strong. Naruto was struggling in the tree before he cut the ropes off and landed on his feet before he made several Kage Bunshins. The shadow clones ran at Rin but she dispatched them with ease.

  Sasuke spotted the opening.

  Just as Rin aimed a roundhouse kick at Naruto's jaw, Sasuke feinted and though his ribs throbbed from the punch, he rotated sideways and his hand closed around the bells. The string broke as Sasuke triumphantly held up the shining silver bell and the other one fell into Naruto's outstretched palm.

  They had passed.

  But something didn't feel right.

  "Sasuke-kun!" A high pitched screech sounded as they turned to see Rin holding Sakura in a headlock, the girl thrashing violently before the green haired jonin placed a kunai at her throat.

  "Nice job getting the bells," Rin complimented, "care for a trade?"

  "Sakura-Chan!" Naruto cried out, his fists closing in rage, "let her go, dattebayo!"

  "That will depend on the nature of our deal. Hand over both bells—" Rin narrowed her eyes, "and forfeit your chances or Sakura here will get roughed up."

  "You can't hurt her," Sasuke said calmly, "you are a genin sensei and —"

  Rin laughed, the sound cold and merciless—a contrast to the laugh she had before, "Don't be naive, Sasuke. Even if I did hurt you, who do you think they would believe? You? Sakura? Naruto? After all, injuries are all part of a shinobi life—they won't even notice if you had a few cuts here and there—"

  "Acting is all part of being a shinobi—" Rin trailed off, pressing the kunai enough to draw a thin line of blood as Sakura whimpered, "remember what I said before? It was me giving you idiots a hint..."

  Sasuke's fists closed. He couldn't fail. He couldn't return home and face his father's disappointment and the lecture that he would never be as good as Itachi.

  "Don't worry, Sakura-chan!" Naruto said, swallowing thickly, "we'll get you out of this."

  The boy who wanted to be Hokage. Who tried so hard just to graduate was giving up his chances. Sasuke's fists shook but he couldn't do it.