39.

Guren tightened her fist as all five of them walked down together. The other two Konoha nin were ordered back to Konoha, as they were in no use for the mission with their injuries. Guren had released the girl Hotaru, and although Utakata gave the female hostile glares, she simply ignored him. 

  "Who is this Yukimaru you are talking about?" Rin asked, her voice low. 

   Guren stiffened. 

  His mother--she had killed his mother. The single thing that made tears come to the eyes of a killer like her. She had felt an inimitable connection with the boy in the short days she had been with him. 

  "I will come back for you." 

  That's what she had said as she gave him the flower encased in the crystal. 

  "He's nobody," Guren replied, her eyes cold as she looked at the green haired girl, "just play your part." 

  Rin's hands were bound with chakra absorbing chains, her eyes focused ahead. Guren couldn't help but feel a small admiration for the girl. She was perfectly calm, placing her trust in her teammates. "I will need to blindfold you," Guren said coolly as the girl nodded as she tied the cloth around her eyes. 

  Guren turned to Utakata, Hotaru, and Shisui. "Kabuto will be tricky to take down," she said, "he is not strong but he has many tricks up his sleeve." She turned to Utakata, "I suppose you and your student are inseparable." He nodded as she continued, "There is a boy with long hair and pink eyes. He is probably folding a crystallized flower--please find him and bring him to safety." 

  Their plan was simple. They would extract Yukimaru while Rin was the decoy. Guren and Shisui would then take on Kabuto after tricking him to let down his guard. 

  Hotaru and Utakata shot away immediately while Guren turned to lead Rin away. She was met with a surprisingly tight grasp upon her arm. She turned to see Shisui Uchiha gripping her arm. Guren felt herself tense slightly as Shisui murmured, "I trust you only as far as I can throw you." The Uchiha's eyes were unnaturally heated as he continued, "Should you hurt Rin in any shape or form, I will not hesitate to finish you off." 

  Guren felt a corner of her lips twitch. It was said that Uchihas felt stronger emotions than the average person; loved more and hated more. 

   "I have no intention of doing so," she replied, "rest assured." 

   Shisui nodded before he masked his chakra and prepared to attack from behind. Guren pushed Rin forwards roughly, turning back to her emotionless act. 

   They entered the cave, their steps resounding along the cold chamber. "I see you've succeeded in your mission, Guren--" Kabuto said, his eyes skimming against Rin, "congratulations." 

  Guren pushed Rin to her knees. "What shall we do now?" 

  Kabuto's eyes gleamed with a lust for power. "We shall have to extract Mizuchi from her--" 

  Rin forced herself to stay calm as Kabuto approached her, his hand showing a kanji for release. The fuinjutsu. 

  Suddenly, Kabuto tensed, his whole body freezing against his will. Shisui seemed to melt from the shadows, his eyes spinning into Sharingan. "Guren...you--" his teeth gnashed together, "you would betray Orochimaru-sama?" 

   Guren cracked her knuckles before her foot collided with the side of Kabuto's face; sending him flying backwards and slumping unconscious. "I've always wanted to do that," she murmured before she turned her head.