32.

Rin healed at an above average rate, mostly thanks to Mizuchi. The water dragon seemed very satisfied about Orochimaru's death, chanting, "The snake fucker is finally dead" every chance he got. At one point, Rin even thought he composed a song with that line.

Her previous breakdown made her feel...she had tried so hard not to be weak, but it seemed that she was unable to even control her tears at that point. Despite everything, despite how much she tried, was she still that weak little child inside?

  "Rin," Mizuchi voiced, "I'm going to lay this shit out for you only once so listen well. You went through hell in the other time; you lost everyone you ever cared about and loved. You tried to kill yourself....a logical way since you had nothing left to live for, but you didn't. You nearly fell into the Curse of Hatred, but once again, you resisted. Yes, your Sharingan is not as strong as a normal full blooded Uchiha, your medical ninjutsu is quite literally shit for some reason, and as Shisui has so kindly told you so many times, your shuriken skills are also shit despite having been taught by Itachi in the other timeline. Your genjutsu doesn't measure up to Itachi's, far from it, and compared to the Second Hokage, Tobirama, whom I've taught, your water jutsu cannot compare to his. I've lived for more than a thousand years and even through all that, I can say that you are not the strongest person I've met. However, you are far from weak. So don't doubt yourself, again, alright?"

  Rin nodded slowly as she rolled off her bed and went to her desk. She opened the drawer to find the medicine bottle that Tsunade had given her.

  News of Orochimaru's attack had spread and it was to little surprise that Sasori, Hidan, And Deidara had paid them a visit. As per usual, Deidara and Hidan cursed and raved how they would have brought Orochimaru back to life and kill him again, but Sasori only gave her a steady look.

  The puppeteer seemed to always know everything.

Rin unscrewed the cap but her hands shook too hard that she dropped it, but even before it reached the floor, bright blue chakra strings swooped into her vision and she found Sasori in the doorway, his eyes trained upon the bottle. Rin froze as the red haired puppeteer looked back at her.

Her shoulders sagged. "Please....don't tell father...."

"Why?" The one word hurt her more than anything.

"Sasori-San—"

"The truth, Rin. I want it now."

Rin's hands wouldn't stop shaking. She could lie. She could do anything. But that small corner of her heart that was going to explode with this weight, that part of her wanted to tell him. Wanted to tell somebody.

"In the other timeline," her voice was barely above a whisper, "I....I had.....I—" she blinked back hot tears, "I couldn't do...I couldn't do anything. Everyone I loved died around me and I couldn't do anything. I...I was a child who swore that I would never hurt anyone—that I wanted to make people smile; that I would never become someone who kills other people....but....the blood on my hands....it wouldn't wash off, Sasori-San. All....all of you died and I...I was alone."

Sasori felt his own hand clench. Emotion. Was this the uncomfortable twisting in his chest? He was a puppet. He didn't feel.

Her eyes were broken.

There was nothing within her eyes. She was hollowed; eyes empty of soul. She had become less than the dust on the ground. Slowly, her hand curled around the kunai, slowly bringing it to her neck.

She pressed it against the sensitive skin, blood dripping slowly down the blade.

If she killed herself right now, no one would even notice a difference. She deserved this. She killed those people. She...she could see all of them again.