Eighteen

Kwon Hyuk

Damn my body is hurting in every part.

I sighed, lazily opened my apartment's door, it's 1 am and all the light was still off. Instead of turning on the light, I took off my left shoes in the darkness just like my soul.

"Where have you been?" woman's voice spoke and it damn startling me, almost made me tripped on my own foot. I quickly turned on the light and saw my mom already sat on my sofa, quiet and elegant like a queen.

"Jesus, Mom! You scared me." I wasn't aware that I'm actually half screeching, just like how girls usually react whenever they see cockroach.

"We need to talk, Dean Marshall." she made sure to give strong intonation on my English name.

And I kept standing right across her.

Shit, that name.

I never like it when my mom call me with my English name, it sounds wrong and it makes me feel like a stranger to her. And she always call me by my name whenever she angry.

I knew why she's here, it must be because Yuri told her everything.

I run my fingers on my hair but in uneat movement, more like pulling them out, "So, she already told you?"

"What am I supposed to do? My soon to be daughter in law came to me and cried, telling me that my beloved soon calling off the wedding out of the blue." she shrugged.

"And you believe her?" I asked in disbelief.

"Not until I hear your story, I might be your mom but I do need to be neutral on this. If you decided to call off the wedding then it must be something bad happen." she reasoned.

I love my logical mind mommy.

"It's worst thing, Mom." I stressed out, sounded like little boy who's grumbling on his mom about his annoying friends.

"Did she insult you?" she asked directly on point.

"What--"

"You and your father are same, both of you are men with high pride and ego. I'm pretty sure she had hurt your pride, she told me you were angry and both of you had a little fight, but she probably intentionally missing out the reason why you're angry." she explained.

I gave her a weak smile and walked to her, my mom patted a space beside her but I chose to sit on the rug closer to where she sat.

"She insulted dad."

"How so?"

"Marshall's construction, you know mom.. there's a problem, but I'm sure there's no problem that couldn't be solved. And.. she just like that--"

"Telling you to give it up and accept her father's company?" she finished the sentence perfectly for me.

"How do you know? I never told you."

"I'm your mom." she said proudly.

"Yeah, sorry sometimes I forget about it."

"This kid-" she was about to smack my arm.

"Kidding, Mom. You're the best ever." I gave her thumbs up and cheeky smile.

"But Yuri is actually a good girl.."

"She is.." I nodded in agreement, despite how she behaves like a spoiled brat sometimes, she's actually a good girl.

"Right, do me a favor please.."