Retreat

Havoc landed close to the stronghold when the dusk was suddenly lit with plasma cannons.

"Go, go get out now!" Aimilios yelled to Cat who took off and flew away.

"I'll be on standby for your pickup don't leave me waiting!" Cat radioed and Aimilios sighed.

"Goodbye Cat." He said turning off the mic.

"Ready?" He asked everyone else, they nodded and took off towards the fortress taking out any and all opposition.

After an hour they had fought their way past the main gates and up a few floors.

"Aimilios, I'm almost out!" Rookie yelled.

"Pick up a new weapon then new blood!" Cox yelled.

Aimilios meanwhile shot the last elite guarding the stairs.

Aimilios looked back to the rookie and saw a blur moving behind him.

He turned just in time to shoot the elite behind Rookie and it toppled over him. It was still alive but Aimilios walked up to it.

"Good try, thanks for waiting for me." Aimilios said and brought the Elites sword through its skull.

"Aimilios.... you saved my life!" Rookie said, still in shock.

"You're in my squad, I know you would all do the same for each other right!?" Aimilios said.

"Yes sir!" the squad yelled back.

In that moment, Aimilios felt proud, he had been so unsure of leading others in this war... but maybe, just maybe, that old coot of a commander knew what he was talking about.

"Maybe he was right, maybe I can lead." Aimilios thought silently and reloaded his rifle before heading to the stairs and to the final floor of the stronghold.

~~

"That Elite captain nearly had me!" Boom said with a laugh as they walked out onto the top floor of the stronghold and sat down while Patches radioed in for evac.

"This is Fireteam Havoc requesting liftoff, mission is complete and we are ready for home." Patches said into the comms.

"Roger that Havoc be advised you have pelicans in-route." The radio operator said from the other side.

"Havoc this is Cat I am inbound." Cat radioed a short time after.

"Rodger Cat, waiting with welcome arms." Patches said and ended the transmission.

"Well, job well done Havoc, looks like the commander was right to put us together!" Aimilios said, smiling and taking off his helmet again and breathing the fresh air.

"Oorah brother." Shadow said fist bumping Aimilios and sitting on the edge of the tower with him, as they say, nothing brings people together like fighting together against a common enemy.

"Who else kept count!? I got like 138?" Yin asked flopping down with Yang following his lead.

"Final score 150." Yang said with a smirk.

"That beats mine, 125." Shadow said with a smirk.

"Mine too, 107." Valkyrie said, sitting behind Aimilios but not taking her helmet off.

"HA I got like 200!" Boom said grinning and taking off his helmet exposing a long scar across his lower face.

"What did you get Ghost." Rookie asked with excitement.

"329." Aimilios said with a bit of a smirk.

"That adding the number you calculated from the warship?" Boom asked.