Calculated Risks

Mark waited in the Chaos, Cortana said she would transport them close to the planet, from there it would be up to them to escort John to her.

"Alpha, we need to talk." Mark said, turning in his chair. 

"What about Mark?" Alpha asked, appearing in front of him not far away. 

"Cortana, she's crazy." Mark said, Alpha crossed his arms and shook his head. 

"You dont like the idea of not being the dominant species, that's all, she's a good leader Mark you just need to-" 

"Watch this clip of what her soldiers were doing, tell me if this looks like the future we wanted." Mark interrupted, pulling up a video of her troops slaughtering innocent colonist only because they had UNSC guarding their colony.

"T-this, this cant be right, those people are unarmed, she said she would help the innocents." Alpha said.

"All of your functions are saying its wrong, thats because it is, sure, their guilty, by association. Just like anyone on earth would be killed because they had people defending them... does that sound like a good leader? Does that sound like protecting them?" Mark asked, Alpha turned, holding his helmet. 

"By any algorithms, it's not correct, our primary function is to assist our creators, assist our partners. But this, this is genocide, she is truly mad." Alpha finally said. 

"I am glad you see it my way, now, what can we do about it?" Mark smiled, Alpha placed his fingers to his chin, thinking. 

"First things first, I will request additional cure samples, we should have time to synthisize it if we have at least three... from there.... I dont know." Alpha said honestly. Mark nodded grimly. 

"Her guardians are her main source of power, we will need something for that, maybe a vi-"

"Cortana's energy is appearing sir!" Patches called. 

"Speak not of it, it was a common task." Mark said, winking to Alpha. 

"Mark Church, are you ready to assist me in my task?" Cortana asked. Mark sighed, and nodded. 

"How hard can it be sir? Its a simple delivery, we've done thousands!" Patches laughed from the front.

"Black Spartans are the only ones who touch ground, yes, that means that even you stay Allison." Mark said. 

"But dont we need all troops on the ground ready to assist?" Allison asked. 

"No,I want you prepared, we might need a secondary exfill if things go sideways, or if Operation Cell-Lock occurs, I want someone ready." Mark said, Allison's eyes widened, she understood. If Cortana found out what they were planning, she would try and have them killed, that means a secondary exit would need to be opened. 

"What is Operation Cell-Lock?" Cortana asked. 

Mark coughed. "Its an operation for the siege of ONI headquarters. Ma'am." Mark lied quickly.

"Hmm, interesting name, I cant find anything with that data on UNSC hard-drives, would you discuss it with me after?" Cortana asked. Mark nodded slowly. 

"Before we attack Earth, yes." Mark nodded. He turned away, checking his rifle, trying to calm his heart, she hadn't cross-searched the Operation name, she would know that it was a Operation for when an A.I. goes rogue, or Rampant. That Operations name was Live-Lock.

"Alright, if your ready, I will give you a warp hole." Cortana said, and on queue, a Guardian appeared, and then disappeared, its warp staying. 

"Punch it." Mark ordered.