Prologue

Jungkook, as usual, didn't see anything. It's complicated, very complicated for a 12-year-old to not be able to see the world before him. He could only see the color of black and just black. It's like he'd been swallowed up by the darkness, and it's always been very lonely to live like that. Nonetheless, he'd been born this way. He didn't have the gift that almost everybody in this world possessed. It was the kind of gift that he had always longed for. Sight.

He'd asked his poor eomma one night when he laid in bed as she pets him to sleep, what the world was to her. And her answer to him, "The world is cruel, brutal, and heartless. Altogether, it only creates a world of darkness."

Jungkook could feel the warmth of her hand as she continued to stroke him to sleep. Somehow, he sensed the tension in the air. He had remembered his eomma saying those words before when he was much younger. He doubted it. The world must be more than the words of 'cruel, brutal, and heartless.' It's more likely that it was beautiful, lively, and full of unpredictable colors. He was reluctant to say, but said it anyway, "Isn't the world much better than that?"

"No, my son. The world isn't so great. If you were to see, then you would see people. Anyone-even the one whom you really love- can be evil. I would've loved it more if I couldn't see a thing just like you," she paused as she drew her eyes down at her son who was half asleep. A part of her wanted to cry for her poor little son, but to cry only meant hopelessness. "Now listen, Jungkook-ah, my son. Remember that you're not alone. You still have me by your side. And perhaps, you will find someone who loves you for who you are." She dried her eyes from tears that were on the brink of being exposed. But even so, her son wouldn't even be able to see her tears. "If you were to be perfect, then it's more likely that whoever loved you only loved that perfection of you. But, with a flaw like yours, whoever loves you now- and you must love yourself- will love the truth of you."

Jungkook took those words in like swallowing up a pill. Maybe she's right, Jungkook thought. Whoever loves me- even with my flaw- loves me for who I am.

* * * * *

"Stop bothering me! Give me back my white cane!" Jungkook hollered at the kids from his neighborhood as they poked him, made fun of him, and spat out disgusting words. There were three of them, all of which were boys the same age as him who enjoyed having the pleasure of bullying someone who was weaker than them. They'd bully Jungkook especially because he was known as the "blind kid from the block." And now that they've taken his white cane away from him, it was harder for him to move around. Jungkook tried throwing a punch, but one of the kids dodged.

"Yah, blind kid, catch me if you can," the fatter kid from the trio said, briefly covering his own eyes as to mock Jungkook. The kids burst out into laughter as they continued to watch Jungkook struggle to find where they were. Then, as they persisted to bully him, the fat kid started taking Jungkook's sunglasses off of his eyes. "Come find your sunglasses, blind kid!"

"Yah, give it back to me!" Jungkook insisted, moving his hands in front of him as if he expected to snatch his sunglasses back.

The three bullies started tugging on his shirt, tossing him to one another like he was a ball until he stumbled forward to the ground. Jungkook screeched in pain, feeling his knee scraped against the cement floor. And the bullies felt no remorse but satisfaction. Evil smirks spread across their faces as they watched him lay helplessly on the ground.

"Yah!" The bullies, including Jungkook, heard a harsh voice coming from the entrance of the neighborhood alleyway. It was a girl's voice that they heard. The bullies turned around and tilted their heads to see the fine figure of a girl who seemed to have been the same age as them, standing a couple of feet away from where they were. The bullies couldn't help but held their breaths as they found the girl a pretty one. Her hair was long cascading down her shoulders, her facial structure can be remarkably described as perfect with symmetrical features, and she was dressed perfectly in school uniform along with a backpack strapped behind her back. She was for sure not from this neighborhood because one, they've never seen her before, and two, her uniform clothes indicated that she came from a wealthy family. The neighborhood here was only full of poor families that couldn't afford education for their children, so she possibly wasn't from this neighborhood. Though, as the bullies drew their eyes on her, it was her eyes that intimidated them. It was filled with the color of rage as she witnessed already what they've done to the blind kid. "Step away from him," she demanded.