Chapter 35: Requiem

Third Person POV

The little girl looked at Jungkook in the eyes, tears were still running down her cheeks, and then she quietly sniffed.

Jungkook stared at her with sympathy. It wasn't a pleasant sight to see a little girl cry. He started simple, asking her, "Um... what's your name?"

The little girl sniffed, and replied in a stuffy tone, "Gaeun..."

Gaeun, what a pretty name, he thought.

He then averted his eyes and peered his head around again, realizing that they were the only people in the alleyway. He looked back at Gaeun and said, "Do you live around here?"

She shook her head, and said in a small tone, "No... please help me, Ajusshi."

Soon, she started sobbing again, putting her head in her hands, making him panic. Then, he gently put his hands on her head, slowly stroking her hair. She looked up at him again with her beautiful eyes, tears smeared on her face.

He made soothing noises and said to her with a smile on his face, "It's okay, I'll help you. Don't cry..." He brought his hand up to her face and wiped her tears with the back of his hand. "Gaja! Let's go find your parents." He got up from the bench and bent down to grab her little hand. "Do you trust me?" he inquired, fixing his eyes on her as she raised her head up to look at him.

Jungkook was relieved as he managed to put a cute smile on the little girl's face. Suddenly, he was lost in deep thoughts when looking at her in the eyes. For some reason, it bothered him as it felt like they were somehow connected to each other.

He blinked a couple of times, bringing himself back to reality from his subconscious. He found that the little girl was still looking up at him with her big eyes. He gave her a smile, and said, "Gaja!" They started walking together, making their way out of the alleyway.

* * * * *

Jungkook's POV

"Thank you, Officer Hwang Gyu Man..." I bowed to the man behind the desk at the police station, and got up from the chair, sauntering up to Gaeun who was sitting on the guest chairs on the other side.

I settled down beside her and said, "Your Appa will be here soon to pick you up, don't worry." I gave her a smile to assure her of it.

"Thank you so much, Ajusshi," she said, and wrapped her little arms around me at once, laying her little head on my chest.

I was flustered for a moment, staring at the top of her head, and soon, I found her lips curve into a tight smile. I couldn't help but smile, too. Soon later, I hugged her back in return, placing my hands on her back. We stayed like that for a long while as she didn't loosen her hug for one second.

Suddenly, I felt butterflies in my stomach. Why was there such a feeling in me? It was the same kind of feeling that I had when I first saw Jisung...

After a while, Gaeun pulled back from the hug and raised her head looking up at me. "Ajusshi, you're nice..." she said in her cute voice.

I raised my eyebrows, and grinned. "Thanks. But next time, you may never encounter another nice Ajusshi like me to help you when you're lost," I explained, and continued, "You're lucky I'm a nice Ajusshi."

She looked at me, blinking. "Who are you?" she inquired all of a sudden. "Are you my guardian angel?"

There was a sudden queasiness in my stomach from what she just said. I stared at her for a while, and suddenly remembered...

* * * Flashback * * *

11 Years Ago

(Third Person)