Chapter 22: I Can't Be. . .

Taehyung's POV

After Aeri fainted, Mr. Kim asked for me and my father to take her to our house and have a doctor there to check up on her. So, we did as he said and transferred her to my house and had her sleep in my room on my bed. We then invited a doctor over to see what's wrong with her.

As we left the doctor in my room to check up on her, there was me, sitting on the ground with my back against my bedroom door, waiting. I had my elbows resting on my knees while I held my intertwined hands to my mouth, partially praying for her to be okay.

It's my fault, I thought to myself.

Then, I punched the ground with a clenched fist, which hurt but I bared the pain and sat still.

I immediately got up standing on my two feet when the doctor came opening the door, looking for me.

"Is she okay, doctor?" I hastily inquired.

He looked up from his clipboard and gave me a. . . smile? I lowered my eyebrows, puzzled. Strangely and unexpectedly, he told me that it's good news. I continued to stare at him stupidly until he finally explained to me what he found.

My eyes widened, when he told me that. . .

Ten Minutes Later

Aeri was still unconscious, laying on my bed.

I was on a chair sitting at the bedside, watching over her.

While looking at her, our childhood memories were projected in my head like a video. . .

* * * Flashback * * *

10 years ago

Aeri was crying, laying on the ground with a bleeding knee. She continued wailing like a little baby until I came up and crouched down to her, and said, "Are you okay?"

She looked at me with tears on her face, and cried sympathetically, "Oppa, it hurts. . ."

I chuckled to myself, and wiped the tears on her face. "Don't cry. You're not pretty when you cry."

She slowly came to calm down and said, "I can't get up."

I was thinking to myself for a moment on how I should help her, and smiled when I figured a way. I turned my back to her, and said, "Come on, get on my back. I'll carry you all the way home."

She wiped her tears and sniffed. "I'm heavy though."

"Nothing's heavy for me," I said in return, and turned my head looking at her with a smile. "Quickly, get on my back."

She looked at me for a while, then gave in, slowly getting up from the ground and got on my back, wrapping her little arms around my neck.

I held onto her little legs and slowly stood up from crouching. "See, I can carry you." I turned my head looking behind. She quietly sniffed, then gave me a smile. I smiled in return and started walking.

"Thank you, Oppa," she said, her voice was cute.

"Mhm," I hummed.

"Will you always be there for me when I need it?" she inquired.

"Why not?"

"You promise?"

I quietly chuckled, and said, "Ne, I promise."

"Pinky promise," she said, holding out her pinky in front of me.

I smiled, thinking that she was silly. "Ne, pinky promise," I said, and held out my pinky, crossing it with hers.