Pauling In Wonderland (Part One)

Miss Pauling was resting against a tree, taking a nap. She dreamt of fanciful things, such as a rabbit with a pocket watch who was always late, or a Cheshire cat who could disappear with a flick of his tail. Eventually, she woke up to her boss standing over her.

"Miss Pauling, we do not have time for naps. It may be your day off, but we still have things to do." Pauling nodded and got up, stretching her tired and cramped body to loosen up.

"Now, let's keep looking for the briefcases." Pauling picked up her shotgun and trekked in front of the Administrator, keen to find the intel so she could get back to her nap. She wasn't watching her step, however, and-

"PAULING!"

It was a long and strange fall down the rabbit hole. There were many strange objects floating around, like table sets, teapots without saucers or cups, and even a full grandmaster piano. Eventually, she hit the floor, which wasn't as painful as she expected.

She sat up, then fell to the real floor. It appeared that she fell onto the ceiling the first time. She stood up and dusted herself off, looking around. Her shotgun had disappeared, but there was a small bottle on the table.

Pauling picked it up and read the tag;

'Drink me~' It read in fanciful cursive.

She shrugged and took a sip. She began shrinking, becoming so small that her clothes became a sea of lavender fabric to her. She tumbled out of her clothes, relieved that she still had the slip underneath on.

She looked up and saw a key on the table through the glass. Then she looked around the room again and saw a small door where the key would surely fit. Then she noticed a tin next to her. This one also had a note on it.

'Eat me~' In not as neat cursive.

She sighed and opened the tin. Inside, there was a cake covered in white frosting. She took a piece and ate it. She suddenly started growing. While she was panicking, she got out from under the table, so she grew and grew until her head hit the ceiling.

Pauling found it marvellous that her glasses grew with her, but it was a side thought compared to getting back to small size and getting the key to go through the door, which seemed the only way out at this point. She grabbed the key off the table, then drank from the bottle again. She shrunk again, this time having to bunch the fabric of the black satin slip to keep it on. She walked to the door and unlocked it.

When it swung open, it revealed a colourful forest, filled with all sort of fantastical flora and fauna. She saw butterflies with wings made of bread covered in an ample serving of butter, and tiny reptilians with fly wings that could breathe fire. She stepped forward, and when her foot met the soft grass, she flinched, suddenly remembering that he did not have shoes.

"Who are you?" A young man hopped up to her, cocking his head to the side in curiosity. Pauling had to hold back a giggle, for the young man had snow white bunny ears sprouting from his dirty blonde hair, buck teeth like a bunny, and was carrying a comically large pocket watch in the pocket of his vest. He probably had a cotton ball tail as well.

"I'm Miss Pauling. Who are you?" The young man stuck out a hand for Pauling to shake.

"I'm the Scout Rabbit." Pauling shook his hand. He let it drop, then checked his pocket watch. After a few seconds, he cried out in fear and shoved it back in his pocket.

"I'm sorry, I really gotta go! I'm so late!" He raced off, quick as a bunny. Pauling couldn't hold back a small giggle this time, for he did have a cute little cotton ball tail.

She continued walking through the forest, not really taking note of the environment around her until the air was filled with smoke. She coughed and tried to waft it away, walking through it. When she reached the source of the smoke, she found a little gathering of people around an opened scroll.