Blu Soldier X (Citizen!)Reader X Red Demoman

Your P.O.V.

My bar was never a dull place when The Day came around. Two of the mercenaries were always slung over each other's shoulders, drunk off their ass. The thing that always confused people was, neither of them were gay, and they were on opposite teams, yet they were friends. Drinking together, eating together, talking about the latest news from home and how their pets were doing, complaining about their respective team...It confused all of us.

The town knew that inter-team homosexual relationships were allowed, due to the many sightings of the Blu Sniper and Red Spy together, and on occasion, the Medics could be seen making out over their most recent murder, even though everybody in town also knew that Red Medic was with his team's Heavy, which just raised more questions. But nobody knew if friendship was allowed between teams. It seemed like it would hamper the actual war, but the men were also talking about the spectacular times they killed each other.

All in all, the Gravel Wars were very confusing. Most chose to not approach the mercenaries, but they sometimes heard secrets slip out. There was more and more talk of something happening to the Blu Soldier and Red Demoman because of their friendship. Word slowly spread throughout my bar, and everybody knew something was bound to happen. And one day, something did happen.

Red Demoman came in alone. Sat at one end of the bar and asked for the strongest whiskey I had. I slid over a glass, and he drank it quickly.

Blu Soldier came in alone. Sat at the other end of the bar, slumped over it, and asked for some American beer. I slid it over, and he started chugging it.

They made an effort to not look at each other. I decided to strike up a conversation with the Red one, to break the silence.

"What happened between you and him?" He squeezes the glass so hard I think he might shatter it.

"Refill me, and I might tell ye." I give him a refill, and he drinks it just as quickly.

"Ye might recall we were friends before?" I nod.

"Work didn't allow it. The old woman made us fight and fight each other until our spirits were broken. I'd love to be friends with him again, but..." He bangs his head against the counter. I hear some sniffling. I pat him reassuringly. Everybody gives him a sympathetic look. I go over to Blu Soldier.

"I suppose you're going to ask me the same question, huh?" I nod.

"Same terms." I give him another beer. He sips it thoughtfully, instead of chugging it.

"I suppose the same thing happened here. Only, unlike that pinko crossdresser, I won't cry about it." Tears fall from beneath his helmet. I smile softly.

"It's okay to have feelings." The Demo sits up and points an accusing finger at the Soldier.

"AND THAS WHA' HE CAN' UNDERSTAN'! I'M THE CYCLOPS, AND HE'S A WORSE MONSTER THAN ME!" The Soldier sits up.

"We've fought enough. Don't turn this into what it shouldn't be." Demo's eye twitches, and he stands up.

"What it shouldn't be? Then what is this supposed to be? BECAUSE THIS AIN'T THE BLOODY FRIENDSHIP WE HAD BEFORE THIS STUPID WAR! WE SHOULDN'T EVEN HAVE JOINED, BUT YOU SAID IT WAS FINE, THAT WE WOULD END UP ON THE SAME TEAM! I'M STUCK WITH AN INSANE STUPID GIT, AND YOU'RE STUCK WITH A NANCY WHAT THINKS HE CAN EXPLODE THINGS OTHER THAN HIS OWN TEAM!" Soldier hops up and points at Demo.

"YOU'RE THE ONE THAT WANTED TO JOIN WITH ME! THIS IS YOUR FAULT! PLUS YOU WERE DRUNK! YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT THE PAPERS WERE THE OPPOSITE COLOUR, YOU ONE-EYED-" He suddenly freezes, and he looks horrified with himself. Demo bows his head.