Chapter 1

Eden

I sit cross-legged on the ground. Running my tiny fingers through the dirt drawing random patterns. I wait for my twin Noah to come back.

Today he had gotten picked to go on his own. I want to be there with him to be able to at least try to protect him.
The ears at the top of my head, which were laying flat on my hair, stand up as I hear soft footsteps approaching me. My tail swishes back and forth. Stirring up dirt.

The other omegas think I must be stupid for not at least attempting to hide. But I am fast enough to escape them. I've done it before. And I can do it again.

I look up from my spot on the ground to see a slight small figure walking towards me. He still has a slight limp from being handled too harshly yet again by the alphas and betas. His bright curly red hair bounces around his head. Red ears stand up in alert. Creamy white skin mottled with purple hand-shaped bruises. Thin arms and a fluffy red tail wrap around his middle. Wide green eyes dart around there small clearing, assessing if there is any danger.

Seeing that there is none, he hurried towards me. I open my arms and he throws himself at me. I grunt in pain from him hitting my injuries. But despite the pain, I pull him closer. His head nuzzles under my chin.

Church...

His name is beautiful and unique. It suited him well though. Like all omegas, he is innocent and kind. Church wanted nothing more than to meet his mate. So that somebody could save him from this hell. But don't we all wish for that. For someone to save us. But the reality is that we probably will be stuck here forever. Until the day we die.

"What's wrong?" I whisper softly looking down at the shaking boy. He looks up at me with shimmering eyes.

Church was only sixteen. When omegas turn sixteen they usually find their mates. A year earlier than all of the other werewolves. He tells me every time he gets that he wants a tall handsome kindhearted male mate. Hopefully a regular werewolf. Not of very high or low rank. Seeing that Church as the rest of us, are all wary, if not afraid, of all higher-ranking wolves.

"I had a dream. I saw my mate. He came over and reached out to me. I tried to reach for him but then I heard the Alpha open the door and I woke up and hid as quick as I could. I couldn't see his face but I just know it in my heart that he is looking for me! Eden, have you had any dreams like that before? Maybe it's a sign that we will be free and get to see the sun!"

I hush him and give him a half-hearted smile.

"I'm sure it was a very nice dream to have Church. But you can't get your hopes up like that. You have to expect the worst. Just in case. I don't want you to be disappointed. I don't want you hurt. We've been there for each other for as long as I can remember and I want you to be... you know what I mean." I say, giving up on trying to explain to Church that we may never get to meet our mates.

Church sighs and snuggles back into me.

"I know. I just... I want to be happy. I just want my mate." His bottom lip trembles and he begins to cry. Biting his lip in a feeble attempt to stop his whimpers.

I run my hand through his soft hair. I tug at a curl and let it go, watching as it bounces back into a tight little ringlet. I stroke his head until he calms. I don't want anyone to hear us. Especially if it's the alpha.

My ears perk up standing straight as I hear the door open. Soft footsteps of the once calm omegas can be heard as they scramble to a hiding spot. The putrid smell of fear fills the holding area. You'd think that it would be easy for the Alphas to find us with the scent of fear that would lead them right towards us. But the smell is to thick that it is hard to pinpoint exactly where someone is.