27

Ten minutes later, me and Butters are dressed up in similar clothes to what the servants are wearing. Since Stan didn't have any spare uniforms, we had to go into the huge closet and try and find something that would work. Luckily we found something suitable for both of us.

We walk down the halls in silence, Stan taking long strides ahead of us so we lag behind.
We walk towards the room I first saw Stan in, which he calls his lounge, and before we even get to the door we can hear voices.

"Remember, speak when spoken to!" Stan quietly reminds us before opening the door and going inside.

We follow him, heads down slightly and silent, determined not to mess up.
We stand to the side, out of everybody's way, and don't make eye contact with anyone.
Well, we shouldn't, but I can't help catching Annie's eye as I walk past her.

She's sat on a small two-seater chair beside a tall man with a moustache and a blue shirt. She looks terrified and incredibly uncomfortable.
Stan's mom, who lives on the same street as me, is having a quiet chat with Bebe about the best lipstick shades. She doesn't seem to notice me.

"Ah, son," the man stands up and grabs Stan's hand to shake it, "thank you for inviting us. It's been so long since we've seen each other."

Confusion momentarily flashes on Stan's face, but he smiles.

"Yes, of course. I wanted to see you since it's been a while since we last spoke," he lies, "how are you doing? How's sparky?"

Stan sits on his chaise lounge, kicking off his shoes as he does so. His father's face is disapproving, but he says nothing and sits back down on the small chair beside Annie.

"Sparky is fine," he replies, his eyes scanning the room, eventually landing on me, "Oh, you've got new staff."

Stan bites his lip and nods.

"Aren't you going to introduce me to these gentlemen?" Stan's father asks, although his tone is cold and harsh.

"Uhh... sure," Stan gets to his feet and walks over to us, "this is Kyle and this is Leopold."

"Hi there." Stan's father raises his hand from the arm of the chair in a small wave.

"And this is my father, Doctor Randy Marsh."

"Hello, sir." We say quietly.

Doctor Marsh, that's who Annie was talking about in the library. He's the one who runs this place, he's Stan's father and Sharon's husband. What kind of doctor is he?

He doesn't look like he would be good at anything medical, so I wouldn't think he would be a surgeon or a medical doctor. He also doesn't look like he'd be a therapist.
Before I can think of any more jobs he may have, he begins speaking.

"I am guessing that you know how things work around here since that is the policy here. You may think that it's weird that we lock girls in here to find my son a wife, but it's been going for centuries and has produced a lovely family tree full of wealthy families. The wives are always grateful," he looks over at Annie with soft eyes, "I'm a geologist so I can't be here all the time to watch over my son, but it seems that he's doing a wonderful job."

"He's doing a fantastic job, sir." I agree.

Doctor Marsh nods, smiling. We're doing a good job at pretending to be staff so far.

"How do you feel about gambling, Kyle?" He asks, taking me by surprise.

"I've never gambled before," I answer honestly, "my father was strictly against it."

I could add that I'm not legally old enough to gamble, but I want to say as little as possible just in case I screw up somehow.

"I see," Doctor Marsh looks over at Stan, "Stanley, shall we have a game with him?"

"Sure," Stan shrugs, "I can call my friends over too so we have more people."

"Perfect. When they get here, we'll play a game or two of poker," Doctor Marsh grins, "this'll be fun."