40 *

A year later

As I'm leaving my therapist's office, I hear the news reporter say Stan's name.
The tv on the wall in the waiting room is showing the outside of Stan's house, where policemen are trying to keep control of the situation.

Instead of going outside so my dad can drive me home, I sit on one of the tatty chairs to find out what they're saying.

"-after he kidnapped seven girls and two boys. His father and older sister have also been arrested and will be facing trial in the next few weeks. Stan himself, however, is already in prison after being caught trying to evade the police," a mug shot of Stan appears on screen, "his sentence has not been released to the public yet, however, based on previous cases, one could assume Stan will be given a minimum of twenty years."

Twenty years? That guy should be locked up forever.

"The majority of the hostages escaped, however Bebe Stevens and Annie Knitts were unfortunately shot and passed away due to blood loss," the screen shows pictures of Bebe and Annie, "the small town of South Park is holding a funeral for the two young girls next week after Wacky Races is finished."

The office door opens and my dad walks in, looking worried. Once he spots me, he breaths a sigh of relief.

"What're you doing here, kiddo? We're going home, remember?"

I can't even respond. I'm so choked up by Annie that I can't say anything. All I can do is point to the screen and hope he understands.

He's my dad. Of course he understands.

"Oh, Kyle," he kneels down in front of my chair and wraps his arms around me, "it'll get easier, I promise."

I can't stop the tears now. Within seconds, my dad's shoulder is damp, but I'm sure he doesn't care.

"She didn't deserve it." I mumble into his shoulder.

"I know, Kyle, I know." He pats my back comfortingly.

I sit in his arms for a while as I wait for my tears to disappear. It takes a while, but once I finally stop getting snot all over my dad's shoulder I let him lead me to the car.

"Do you want some music?" He asks as I buckle myself in.

I shrug, so he switches on the radio.

"... twenty years in prison. Personally I-"

Dad turns off the radio.

He drives in silence back to our house.

My therapist is out of town since we didn't want to be followed by money-hungry paparazzi. It's not so far that it takes hours to drive home, but it's far enough that the cameras leave us alone after a while.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a suspicious looking car. One of the tinted windows is open very slightly and occasionally I see a quick flash.

"There's cameramen following us." I tell dad.

His grip visibly tightens on the steering wheel as he unexpectedly turns a corner. I slide in my seat and slam into the car door.

"Sorry, I'm just taking a different route to try and throw them off." Dad explains.

He sticks to this path for a minute before turning again, this time in the opposite direction than we should be going.

I check the wing mirror and the car is still following us, not fooled by our plan.

"Still tailing?" Dad asks.

I nod.

With a sigh, dad increases his speed slightly and continues down this road. He turns on his right indicators, but then turns left and starts going even faster.