37

I keep pulling at the door handle even though I know it's locked. For some reason I feel like it's not locked and I'm just not pulling it hard enough. I know I'm wrong though.

Heidi tries her door when she sees me continuously tugging at the handle, but unfortunately her door is locked too.

"Locked." Wendy announces after trying her door once.

I look back over at my window, but Stan is gone from my view. I can't see him in anyone's windows so he's either hiding or has left us here.

"Shit, what do we do?" Heidi looks at everyone in fear, "are we trapped?"

"You are indeed, my darling." A staticky voice laughs.

I look around the car for the source of the noise, but I don't find anything. It must be hidden, or built into the car.

"I can't believe you fell for my plan. I thought you were smart," the staticky voice continues, "I'm disappointed in you. I'm especially disappointed with you, Kyle. I thought you were intelligent."

They're speaking to me in that 'I'm not mad I'm just disappointed' voice my mom used with me and it makes me feel disappointed in myself, which shouldn't happen since I've done nothing wrong.
I feel like I have to prove that I am smart, but that's probably just my arrogant side that I developed from my mother.

"Hey, did you know that the headrest can break a car window?" I ask the voice.

"Don't be stupid. If you're trying to think of a way out then you're going to have to try harder."

I pull the headrest off the chair in front of me and slam it into the window. The glass smashes instantly and falls to the floor like heavy rainfall. I brush it off my lap and unbuckle my seatbelt.

"You little shit!" The voice curses.

"You might want to move out of the way." I tell Wendy.

She shrugs and pushes herself as close to the door as she can get to give me more room.

"What are you doing?" The voice demands, "Sit back down right now!"

I ignore the command and throw the headrest at the front window. The glass shatters and scatters across the dashboard and the floor of the car. Wendy brushes it off her lap and reaches over to do the same to Sharon since she's somehow still in that creepy daze.

I grab the other headrest and begin clearing the jagged glass so that we can escape with as little injuries as possible.

When all of the glass is cleared, I grab Annie's body and pull her out of the car. When we are out, I lay her on the floor and offer my hand to Wendy so she can climb out.

It doesn't take long to get Wendy out since she undid her seatbelt whilst I was clearing the glass, but Heidi and Sharon will most likely take longer since Sharon is acting all weird and Heidi is struggling with her seatbelt.

"Heidi, hurry up, we don't have all day." I say as I lean back into the car to undo Sharon's seatbelt.

"I can't, I think it's stuck." Heidi frowns, pressing the little red button repeatedly as she tugs the belt.

"Heidi. You're pressing the wrong button." I point out.

She presses the correct button quickly, her cheeks reddening in embarrassment.
She climbs forward in the car and with Wendy's help she exits the car.

She's unsteady on her feet and almost falls over when she slides off the car, but she regains her balance as well as creating a loud bang.

"What's going on?" Sharon grabs my hand and squeezes. I cry out in pain but she doesn't let go, "Kyle, what's going on?"

"We're escaping. Stan locked us in the car," I explain, "please let go of my hand, you're going to break it."

Sharon doesn't let go. She repeats her question and squeezes my hand harder.

"We're escaping because your son locked us in this car because he's some kind of psycho. And please, for the love of all things holy, let go of my hand."

Sharon finally lets go of my hand and I step away from her in case she decides to grab any other part of my body.

"What's wrong with her? She keeps going all funny until there's a loud sound." Wendy slams her hand on the car, making us all jump.

"Randy," Sharon mumbles, "Randy did something. Something to do with my coffee this morning. I keep blacking out. Something to do with the coffee..."

She gets out of the car on her own, which is a relief since I don't want to touch her, and heads towards the wall near the trap door we came through.
She flicks the lights on with a light switch I hadn't thought to look for and then heads towards a door in the corner of the room, which I assume leads to the house connected to this garage.

I instantly recognise the garage since I've been here before.
It may be full of boxes that weren't here last time, but this is definitely the garage across the street from my house that I helped clean out a year or two ago.

The fact that I've been across the street from my mom this whole time fills me with anger. I've been underground. Under everyone. It's no wonder the police haven't found us yet.
I wish I'd kept the phone on me instead of leaving it in the dollhouse, then I could call my mom and the cops.

I pick Annie back up and follow Sharon through to the house.

Stan and his father are leaning against the front door, blocking our escape. The only other exit is through the garage door, which requires a key that we don't have. We could go through the back door, but that's most likely locked too.

"Shit." Is all I can manage to say.