38

"Stan these ropes are hurting my wrists." I complain, struggling against his father's grip on my shoulders as he leads me to the living room.

"Poor Kyle," Stan pouts, "is your heart hurting from the betrayal too?"

Doctor Marsh laughs and pushes me to the floor.
I fall to my knees, but luckily there's a carpet so it doesn't hurt too badly.

Heidi is pushed into a chair and her legs are tied to the legs of the chair, probably to stop her from getting up and hurling the chair at our captors.

"Let go of me, you fucking creep!" Wendy yells, scratching at Stan's arms which are wrapped tightly around her to stop her running away.

"Dad, help!" Stan grunts.

His arms are red and bleeding from Wendy's long and sharp nails. She leans down a little and clamps her teeth on his arm.
Stan cries out in pain and releases her.

She runs across the room and drops to her knees beside Heidi's chair.
She whips a small knife from somewhere, probably her underwear knowing this crazy woman, and slices Heidi's ropes.

"I need you to cut my ropes, Kyle," She says as she cuts through my ropes. She passes me the knife and I do my best to cut through them without accidentally cutting her, "good. Now get out of here, now!"

She jumps to her feet and swings her fist around. I hadn't even noticed Stan standing behind us, ready to grab Wendy.
Her fist collides with Stan's nose and he howls in pain, staggering backwards into his father.

"Go!" She yells at us.

I scramble to my feet, grab Heidi's wrist and pull her towards the door.
Wendy screams as her hair is grabbed and she's pulled to the floor, but I know that she doesn't want us to stop so I open the door and pull Heidi through.
Before I leave, I loudly slam the door just in case Sharon slipped back into her weird daze.

"Where do we go now?" Heidi asks.

I try the front door, but to my dismay (although I kind of expected it) it is locked.

"Let's try the back door." I suggest.

We enter the kitchen, which is quite empty aside from the table, and try the back door. Again, the door is locked.

"Shit!" I kick the wall, but immediately regret it as my foot begins throbbing in pain.

I hear a loud clatter from the living room, followed by a scream. It sounded like it was from Stan, but I can't be sure and I don't really want to go back and check.

"We could climb through the window and jump the fence." Heidi gestures to the kitchen window which looks like it could be wide enough for us to go through.

"It's the only idea we've got, so why not?" I shrug.

I grab a bowl off the kitchen table and throw it at the window. It shatters instantly, just like the car's window.

There's another clatter from the living room and Heidi almost jumps out of her skin.

"I'll go first." She says, climbing onto the kitchen counter.

She climbs out of the window and lands in a small bush. She gives me a quick thumbs-up then moves out the way so I can leave too.

I climb onto the kitchen counter and manage to get one leg out of the window before things start to go wrong.

A hand grabs my ankle and I look over my shoulder to see Stan, who is so battered and bruised he looks the way I did when I first turned up in this place. Wendy gave him one hell of a beating.

"You're not going anywhere." He growls, pulling me down from the counter.

"That's what you think!"

I bring my other leg back in and kick him in the face, adding to his injuries. His face must be sort of numb, since he only flinches and doesn't cry out.
This gives me enough time to dive through the window, which probably wasn't the best idea since I end up cutting my arm on some glass and landing on the hard ground with a loud thud.

Heidi offers me a hand to pull me up and dusts some grass off my shirt.

"You bastards!" Stan yells from inside the house.

"Quick, jump the fence." Heidi pushes herself up and jumps over the other side of the fence.

I look back at the house and see that Stan hasn't come out yet. Either he's gone back to Wendy or he's giving up on us.
I'm not going to find out whether he's coming after us or not, so I follow Heidi over the fence.

As soon as my feet touch the ground, I feel relieved. Although I'm still close enough for Stan to take me back, I feel as though I am free. I mean, my house is only across the street from here. I could probably just stand here and somebody would see me.

"The fresh air feels so good." Heidi comments, taking deep breaths of said air.

I smile and take her hand. I kiss her on the cheek and she smiles back.

"That kiss felt good too." She adds.

I laugh.

"We should probably go to my house. We'll be safe there." I point to my house across the street, which is swarming with cop cars, news network vans and paparazzi with flashing cameras.

Heidi nods and we start walking over.

The second one of the paparazzi notices us approaching, it seems as if everyone turns around. I hear cries of "holy cow! They're here!" and "someone get the mother!" and within seconds I'm in my mom's arms, my face squashed between her breasts, but I don't care.

I breathe in her scent of lavender soap, which I never really cared for in the past, and her favourite perfume.

I'm home.