The Readers Are Going To Be Happy, But Sirius Certainly Isn't

I finally finished that drawing of Amelia! This is how I imagined her at least, short, a bit more on the chubby side, and usually wears pretty cute outfits. She kinda looks a bit like Hazel from Heroes of Olympus, to be honest.

The days have gotten shorter, and the cold started to roll back in again. The crabapple tree in the yard started growing apples this year. None of them you can eat of course, they're all too sour and small, but apparently according to the other people who lived here, once every three years the trees made edible apples. Remus decided that early October in Rhode Island is beautiful, with the colorful trees and the cool climate—when it wasn't cloudy or rainy like it was then, of course.

It's been rough for Sirius and Chase the past couple of weeks, they've had arguments, Chase seemed more distant, and Sirius started staying up late again, later than usual. Remus stayed up with him, though. They were what, on season three now? Though this ran deeper than any show. Sirius wasn't doing as well anymore.

"Hey, I'm going over to Chase' place." Sirius said dully. "Be back in a bit." He didn't sound that enthusiastic about it, like it was a chore. Got to go take the trash out. Got to go to work. Got to go to Chase' house.

"Okay, want me to stay up and wait for you?" Remus looked up at Sirius, pressing his book against his chest to save the page.

"Yeah, sure." He perked up a little at Remus' offer, but still looked a little upset.

Just as Sirius opened the door to leave, Remus stood up off the couch, placed his book on the coffee table, and spoke up, "You'll figure this out, with you and Chase and all."

Sirius turned towards Remus, and gave him a sad smile, one that hurt for Remus to look at, "I hope." The gray in his eyes didn't sparkle or shine, but reflected blankly, like an old, faded over mirror. He opened the door and slowly stepped out into the rain.

~~~

Sirius came home from the date, but instead of seeing a bright smile that Sirius used to not be able to keep off of his face, or the blank face Remus had gotten used to seeing the past couple of weeks, his lips turned into a frown, and his' eyes were red, like he was trying his best not to cry. He made a beeline for the stairs, not even responding when Remus asked what was wrong. Remus considered comforting him, but decided to give him space instead, seeing as it would be what Remus himself would prefer.

A few minutes later, a door upstairs opened, and Sirius walked back down the carpeted stairs. "Oh, uhh, hey, Moony," He said, his words a little shaky, his mouth faking a smile, the whites of his eyes still a little red.

"Sirius, what happened to you? You look miserable." Remus pointed out. That was a horrible way to phrase it, to be honest. He mentally slapped himself for that.

"Way to be brutally honest there." Sirius joked, fixing his voice and trying to fake another smile. The answer is all in his silvery eyes, the answer of if he was faking the smile or not. They were dull and lifeless now, not how they should be.

"Something happened with you and Chase, didn't it?" Remus guessed, sitting up on the couch.

Sirius sighed, and sat on the couch next to Remus. He stared out into the difference, and sighed. "Yeah." The fire crackled in the background. Remus almost had forgotten he lit the fire there. It cast a warm glow on Sirius' face, outlining it in a soft orange.

He stayed silent. He considered asking Sirius to elaborate, but decided against it. Sirius would talk if he wanted to. He probably wouldn't talk, but it was up to him. So Remus just listened to the fireplace as Sirius thought about whenever to speak up or not.