Heartbreak Girl

Josh sat in his bed, reading the book he needed for English class, when his phone went off. He didn't bother glancing at the caller ID, not wanting to tear his eyes away from the page. As he continued to read the line he was on, he grabbed his phone and slid the button on the screen to accept the call. "Hello?"

There was sniffling on the other line and Josh knew who it was before they could speak. "Fuck," the voice finally said. "Josh?"

"Yeah, Ty? What's up?" he slid his bookmark into page one hundred and sixty two before shutting the book and setting it on the bed next to him.

"He did it again. Brendon fucking stood me up again."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah," sniffle. "He said he'd pick me up for our date at five and it's currently–" there was a pause while he checked the time. "Six forty five."

"Shit, Tyler. Where are you?" Josh asked, beginning to sit up.

"I'm at home but–"

"You don't wanna be alone?"

"Not really..."

"I'll be over in five."

"Thanks J."

"Of course. I'll see you soon."

"Bye."

With that, Josh ended the call and tossed his phone down on the bed with a sigh. He put his head in his hands and let out a frustrated groan. Once he regained his composure, he stood up from his bed and left his room, hurrying down the stairs over to where his shoes sat.

"You leaving, baby?" a voice asked softly. Josh glanced over to the couch and saw his mom sitting there, flipping through a magazine.

"Duty calls," he replied sadly. His mom gave him a empathetic look.

"Brendon stand him up again?" she guessed. Josh simply nodded, sticking his foot on the wall in order to tie his shoe. Laura sighed. "I don't know why you don't just tell him you like him, honey. It would save you both so much grief."

"He's too infatuated with Brendon, he'd never like me back. Plus, we've been best friends for years. I don't wanna cause anything to happen with us."

"Josh..."

"I gotta go, Mom. I told him I was on my way. I'll see you later," he opened the front door, beginning to walk out.

"Make sure to be home by nine!"

"Will do! Love you!" He called as he shut the door. Stuffing his hands in his pocket, he walked down his steps and onto the sidewalk. He passed the house on his right but once he reached the following house he bounded the steps and opened the door, not even bothering to knock. "Ty?" He called, entering the place he considered his second home.

"Over here," he heard a sniffle and looked over to see the brunette sitting criss cross on the couch, blanket wrapped around him and box of tissues resting to his side.

"Ty..." Josh's heart broke at the sight of his best friend and long time crush in pain. He walked over and sat next to him, letting Tyler rest his head on the red haired boy's shoulder. Tyler let out a sob and it took all of Josh's willpower not to get in his car and drive to Brendon's house to beat him to a bloody pulp.

"Josh it hurts. I'm so fucking tired of being played over and over again. Brendon says he loves me and that we're meant to be but then he goes and does shit like this!"

"Then–"

"We've had this date planned for weeks! We were gonna go out to dinner together! He didn't even text to cancel! I've tried calling him like a thousand times and it goes straight to voicemail!"

"Why don't you just–"

"It's our one year anniversary for fuck's sake!"

"Tyler!" Josh yelled to get the boy's attention. The brunette looked over at him, teary eyed. "Hey, no, don't cry. I just... why don't you just break up with him? This isn't the first, the second, not even the tenth time he's stood you up. He's a shitty boyfriend and you deserve better than that," he said, voice getting quieter towards the end.

The two stared into each others' eyes for what seemed like forever until Tyler's flicked down and he began twiddling his thumbs. "It's not that easy..."

"Sure it is."

"We've... we've been through so much together. And I'm scared Josh. What if no one else wants me? I'd rather have a guy who does shit like this than not have anyone at all."

"Tyler," Josh couldn't help but smile. "We're in high school. It's not like you guys are gonna get married."

"You never know," Tyler replied, glancing out the window. "It's hard. No matter how many times he hurts me I always run back. I love him and he loves me."

"If he loved you he wouldn't treat you like this. I've seen how he acts around you. He treats you like property."

"N-no he doesn't," Tyler tried scoffing but it turned out nervous.

"You deserve so much better," Josh shook his head, repeating himself. "You deserve someone that will treat you like a prince. Someone who will love you endlessly and will always be there for you. Someone who will fight for you and who will always care about you, no matter what."

Tyler snorted, wiping the tears from his face. "Where am I supposed to find someone like that?"

"Tyler, I l–"

Ring!

The two were cut off by Tyler's phone lighting up, and incoming call alerting them. He glanced at the screen and an anxious look crossed his face. "I'll be right back."

Josh watched Tyler walk out of the living room and down the hallway. When he knew he was out of sight, he smacked his forehead. Stupid. That was stupid.

Shortly after, Tyler reappeared, a grin on his face. "Brendon's on his way."

"What?" Josh asked, disbelief evident in his voice.

"He said he was helping his mom out and lost track of time. He'll be here in ten minutes," pause. "Shit! I gotta go get my dress clothes back on!" he began to run to his room before running back and looking at Josh. "Thanks for coming over, J! I'll text you tonight!"

"Oh, uh, yeah," he stood up awkwardly. Once Tyler left to get dressed he let out a disappointed sigh. Walking back over to the door, he exited the house, already having his shoes on since he never took them off.

Once he got back home, he opened his door and entered, slipping his shoes off and kicking them off to the side.

"Where were you?"

The red haired boy looked over and saw his dad standing in the kitchen doorway, arms crossed. His mom stood behind him, nervous look on her face. "I was at Hayley's," he said finally, hoping his face wouldn't give away his lie.

A smile settled on Bill's face and Josh almost sighed in relief right there. "When are you gonna invite that girl over for dinner? Your mother and I would love to meet her. She is your girlfriend after all."

"She's pretty busy most of the time but I'll text her and see if she's available any time soon."

"There you go, sport," Bill clapped his back a little too hard and Josh held in his wince, walking towards his stairs.

"I'm gonna go finish my homework," he told them before heading to his room.

Once he was inside it, he shut the door and locked it, leaning against the thick wood and sliding down. "He loves me. Bullshit. I love him. Bullshit. Tyler, I love you... " he mumbled. "Bullshit. Love is bullshit."