The Greatest Show

Joshua walked down the gravel road, crunching noises emitting under his footsteps. His hands were shoved into the pockets of his leather jacket but he couldn't help but shiver as the wind picked up ever so slightly.

"There she is. Ain't she a beaut?"

Joshua looked up to see the big top in front of him. He then looked over to the man next to him: the ring leader, Brendon.

Brendon whistled slightly. For now the man was wearing a white button up and high waisted navy suit pants but Joshua knew he'd change into a ridiculous getup later for the show.

"She is," Joshua hummed, not knowing how else to reply. This man just offered him a job he sure as hell wasn't going to insult his "beaut".

"When my father passed this circus down to me a few years back he trusted me with what was his whole life besides his family. I don't have any biological family so the folks you're about to see in there are my family. I'm trusting my family with my whole life like my father did with me. Don't fuck this up, Joshua. I'm trusting you and if you gain my trust you become family too."

Joshua nodded. He wasn't scared of Brendon but he wasn't malicious. He wasn't trying to ruin the poor man's dreams. He just wanted a place to stay and some money. He didn't have either of those since... the incident. "Yes, sir."

"Don't call me sir that's weird you're older than me," he laughed making Joshua smile. "C'mon lets go inside."

The dark haired shook his head slightly with a chuckle and followed Brendon into the main circus tent. As soon as they entered Joshua was greeted with the buzz of chattering and sudden laughs and squeals. His eyes widened when he saw just how many people were in there and he doubted that was all of them. "I am very overwhelmed," he breathed out.

"That's alright," Brendon nodded understandingly. "Let's start in the corner," he began, leading Joshua towards the back of the tent. "Over there is—"

Suddenly, as they were walking, someone swung down from the trapeze rope ladder hanging above the stage. He was upside down and his legs hung around the bottom rung. He grinned. "Hello Brendon! Hello stranger!"

Brendon chuckled. "Well scrap that," he pointed to the guy hanging upside down right in front of Joshua. "Joshua this is Tyler, Tyler this is Joshua. Tyler's one of our trapeze artists and he does aerial work."

"Nice to meet you," Joshua smiled nervously.

"You too! Hey can I call you Josh? I think it suits you better than Joshua. Joshie's cute too," he giggled.

"Uh, sure," he nodded, not used to the insane energy Tyler possessed.

"What do you do? Are you joining our mighty band of misfits?"

"He's an escape artists and contortionist," Brendon cut in, sounding proud of his collection of acts.

Tyler gasped and grabbed the rung, swinging down and landing perfectly on his feet. "Do you think you could suck your own dick if you tried?"

"Uh—"

"Sorry we've never had a contortionist before and I've always wanted to ask that. I'm the most flexible of all the trapeze artists but I ain't that flexible," he giggled once more. "Trust me, I've tried."

Joshua's eyes widened and he looked at Brendon, almost asking for help. "Tyler," Brendon just laughed. "Calm down. You don't wanna scare him away before he even gets a chance to put up with us."

"Sorry, Brennie," he giggled... again. Joshua was starting to think this kid had never been sad a day in his life. "Hey, Joshie? How old are you?"