Ch 14: Trusting Evil

Y/N

My body moved fast getting off the chair while I dragged my dress back over my shoulders, covering myself. Taehyung turned around his eyes big and filled with fear. Due to my sudden actions, the chair tumbled over as I saw Minjae calmly standing in the room.

I was ready to right any moment now...

"You thought I didn't know? Come on Taehyung you know I'm not stupid" she smiled while bending over placing the chair back up in its original place.

I should have seen it coming from the high commander of the royal army.

"Do you think I ask about every new handmaiden that serves us? It's obvious to me who are humans and who is not. You can see it in their behavior. No matter how much they try to act like humans, it's visible to me that they aren't, and most importantly their eyes.'' 

Usually, humans don't see this that fast. 

''If you look closely you notice how Infernals have a dark ring around their orbs. " she continued. 

She had her eyes on me from the beginning?

"Minjae listen to m-" I could hear the hint of panic in Taehyung's voice as he spoke up. It was clear to see that he was taken back and at a loss what to do right now, but to me....things stayed easy. If she is planning on telling the king about me I have no other choice but to kill her in order to keep my true identity hidden.

"Don't worry. I won't tell anything" I straightened my back scanning her expressions as she spoke this.

She is smiling? Is she deceiving us?

It was the moment her eyes locked with mine that I felt my body automatically relax. I have encountered enough humans to realize....that she wasn't deceiving us right now. 

"Why?" Instead of remaining quiet, I decided to speak up.

She slightly sighed before taking a seat on the chair in front of us.

''I have encountered a lot of your kind. Some are killers and indeed just a bunch of savages like the stories say, but.....not all. It's the same with humans some are just good and kind-hearted while others aren't. Seeing how you have been here for a couple of days now without killing anyone, makes me think perhaps you aren't bad.''

Why does it seem like there is another reason as well? 

''This doesn't mean I'm keeping my eyes on you.'' She added. Yet her eyes portrayed something different, it felt like I was able to read her like a book.

"One of my kind saved you" It was a random guess but seeing how her gaze darted towards the floor, concluded that it was right.

Silence fell for a moment as Taehyung stepped forward, approaching her.

''Is that true?'' He carefully spoke while both of us just stared at Minjae getting lost in her thoughts, as if recalling the memory.

''It happened months ago.....I took a couple of men to investigate a prison on the outlands. There was an escape planned leading to a massive battle. We were outnumbered. I got slurred into a battle that I couldn't win. Just a slight grip on my wrist felt like my bones were crushing.''

Looking at her it felt like she was reliving that exact moment.

''But just in time another Infernal came, they fought while I was able to escape. As my men and I fell back I witnessed him dying. He died....saving me.'' The atmosphere started to become heavy and I noticed both Taehyung and Minjae at a loss for words.