Ch 43: Gratefulness And Happiness

Taehyung

My eyes just wouldn't stop focusing on my trembling legs, as I was seated on my bed. It was a late night, and I was supposed to be laying down, tucked away in deep slumber but...

How can I possibly sleep and rest while Y/N is locked up in a cell?! I'm sure she doesn't even know what's going on right now...

I felt a light squeeze coming from Minjae her hand that was resting on my shoulder. She has been with me ever since.

''Taehyung'' she whispered to me. It was a sign for me to calm down but I just simply couldn't.

''How did we end up in this situation?'' I muttered in disbelief. 

Why us?

Soon Minjae her face appeared in my vision as she crouched down in front of me. Her hand remained on my shoulder while her lips portrayed a gentle smile.

I'm sure she is carrying a lot more weight on her shoulders than any of us. Jungkook is badly wounded and on top of that, she will be having a trial by combat in just 2 moons...Yet she acts like none of that bothers her. She smiles at all of us, telling us...that everything is going to be okay.

''If this is what the gods want then it's bound to happen'' She muttered softly. 

Why would the gods want to put us through this? Is it a test? Or perhaps I did something wrong? I still remember the days that I hated the gods. I was little, foolish, and sensitive. I cursed the gods for taking away my mother from me. They give us life.....but also bring death.

''Why? Why is it that the gods always give with one hand and take away with the other?'' I questioned Minjae. She fell silent giving me a soft gaze, it was almost as if her eyes saddened. A soft sigh left her mouth before standing up from her spot. 

My head followed along watching her every move. 

''You shouldn't ask me those things.....I can not answer you on behave of the gods'' She replied. She slowly made her way to my bedroom door ready to leave.

''Perhaps it's to keep the balance......'' She stated taking one last look at me.

''Take a rest Taehyung'' Once again that comforting smile was shown before she disappeared into the halls. Leaving me in the presence of silence and just my thoughts...

I can't.....just sit here and take a rest.

It didn't take me long or I already stormed out of my room heading to the cells. 

''M-My lord.'' I noticed the two guards startled by my appearance at this late hour. I made sure that no one saw me sneaking towards the cells. I didn't want rumors to spread.

''Good evening, I came to visit a prisoner, the handmaiden who has recently been captured.''

''My lord...we were told no one is allowed to see her till the day of the tri-''

''I said I came to see a prisoner.'' How dare he speak back to me. 

My eyes never left his and I could tell that he was gradually becoming more nervous. It didn't take long or the other guard notched him roughly with his elbow. 

''O-Of course, my apologies this way, please.'' And with that, he bowed his head before guiding me to Y/N her cell.

-------------------------------------------

It's so dark in here. 

The truth is I have never been here before. I never had any business to come to visit the prisoners we had, the affairs related to them all had to do with my father. I had no authority over their cases, but thinking about Y/N. I'm sure there are a lot more prisoners captured here who perhaps are innocent.