Chapter 4

Thomas and I pull out front of Adam's house. It seemed to be one of those nice, middle class houses with the white picket fence and honestly, just from the outside alone it feels more like home than the Garcia's mansion. Two other cars are parked out front of the house.

"The others are probably already inside. You know we would be too if someone hadn't taken so long in the bathroom," says Thomas playfully as he opens his car door.

I roll my eyes as I too step out. "Well we would also be in there by now if someone hadn't decided to have a go at me," I bite back with equal playfulness.

In reality I was nervous, music had been such a big part of my life before the accident. Asher and I were a duo and while that didn't really go anywhere big –as if our Mother would allow it- we loved it so much.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_________________

"I can't do this May," Asher said as he took a shaky breath.

"Come on, Ash you can do this! It's just like we practiced with Dad. Just find him in the audience, you can do that, right?" I say with as much enthusiasm as I can as I hand him his acoustic-electric guitar that used to belong to our Dad.

"And what about Mom?" He asks, even though we both already know the answer.

"Ash you know she doesn't approve and for some reason that means she can't support us," I sigh sadly. "Maybe we should just give up trying to win her approval."

"You know I can't do that, I won't. For both our sakes." He sighs, shaking his head then standing up. "Let's do this," he exclaims with new found confidence.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­We head out onto the stage of our school talent show, standing in front of two microphones. The sweet melody of Asher's guitar fills my ears.

I find my proud, beaming Dad in the audience as I take a breath.

________________

I come out of my flashback to find Thomas and myself as Adams door. Thomas just casually reaches for the handles and swings it open. "Uhh shouldn't you knock?" I ask.

Thomas simply laughs and shakes his head as he walks inside, me trailing behind. "I've known Adam since elementary school, it would be weird if I did knock."

"Oh, right," I mutter. In truth, I hadn't had many friends until high school and even then, they weren't true friends. This was a whole new experience for me.

A small, sandy blonde woman emerges from the kitchen "Thomas! It's so good to see you dear, how was school?" she asks.

"You know how I feel about school," he laughs. "This is Amaia, she's Julia's daughter, moved here yesterday," Thomas gestures to me. "Maya, this is Rose, Adam's Mom."

"It's nice to meet you," I smile.

"It's lovely to meet you darling. Now I'm sure the others are getting impatient, I'll let you go," Rose leaves us and heads back into the kitchen.

I silently follow Thomas downstairs to the basement and what I see is everything a musician could ever dream of.

Luke is sitting at a large, black drum kit, twirling drumsticks around his long, slender fingers, looking disinterested while Hannah's sitting on a stool talking to him while twirling a strand of her caramel coloured hair. Fiona is holing a red bass guitar, clearly struggling to tune it before Adam, who's sitting on the ground next to her laughs as he takes it for himself to tune. The basement is full of amps, microphones, leads, instruments and sound equipment. At the far end of the room there's a sheet covering what appears to be a piano.