Chapter 8

It's been three weeks since the band had first heard me sing and since then, Fiona has not shut up about me joining, she's absolutely convinced that I'll "lead them to fame" her words, not mine. It was currently a Wednesday and we were in music class, all piled into one of the rooms. Luke suddenly jumps up before grabbing an acoustic guitar.

"What are you doing?" asks Hannah, attempting to grab his hand.

Let's just say she loves PDA.

"I promised a certain someone a serenade a few weeks ago, now's the perfect time to deliver," Luke smirks in my direction.

"Oh no here we go," Adam groans.

Luke stares deep into my eyes. "Amaia," he starts, bending down to meet my eyes. "This is going to be the most heartfelt serenade I've ever done."

"It'll be the only serenade you've ever done!" shouts Adam. Hannah scoffs from nest to me mumbling about how it "should've been her".

Luke stands in front of me before strumming a chord that is pretty on par to nails on a chalk board. He swears under his breathe before adjusting his fingers.

He takes a dramatic, drawn out deep breath. "I can see what's happening," he sings in a voice that reminds me of Timon being strangled.

Luke continues his pompous Timon impersonation until he breaks into a feminine voice that would put Barbie to shame. "Can you feel the loves tonight? The peace the evening brings?" he screeches.

Like the flick of a light switch, his face becomes serious. "So many things to tell her, but how to make her see? The truth about my past? Impossible, she'd turn away from me," he nods his head towards me while playing the same chord over and over in what appears to be an attempt to get me to join in.

I stand up, "he's holding back he's hiding, but what? I can't decide," I look at him, knowing that what I'm singing is actually true. "Why won't he be the king I know he is? The king I see inside."

The rest of the impromptu duet goes smoothly. However, by the end I can practically see the steam coming out of Hannah's ears. Which is actually reasonable and for the first time, I actually feel pity for the girl.

I stare into Luke's gorgeous eyes for a few moments before I'm interrupted. "Come on Maya! That was amazing! Just one song with the band, please?!" whines Fiona.

My resolve breaks. "Alright, alright let's do it," I feel a smile spread across my face. The guys all whoop before grabbing their instruments. Fiona hands me a mic. "Alright what should be do? I don't really know any of your songs."

"That's alright, how about some classic Avril?" Luke says from behind his drum kit.

"I like your taste Lucas," I smirk.

"My name's not-"

"One, two, three, four!" I yell.

Right on cue, the boys break into "Sk8ter Boi". I bop my head along to the beat before I begin to sing, hair flipping enough throughout the song to put Taylor Swift to shame.

The thing no one tells you about singing in a band is that you feel like a rock star. It doesn't matter if you're in a classroom at school or in front of millions of people.

The song ends and Fiona jumps up and claps. "That was amazing! You need to be our lead! Please?" She asks.

"I'll have to think about it, I have ballet you know," everyone groans.

For the past few weeks, Thomas has been taking be out of the house every time I get overworked and taking me to Adam's for band practice or even over to Fiona's.