Chapter 15

"For the last time Adam, I'm not dying my hair blue," I groan. It's Monday afternoon and we're at Adam's house trying to figure out how I should have my hair done Friday while we wait for Hannah to arrive.

"But it would look awesome!" he whines.

"I think you're a little biased," I gesture to Fiona's recently dyed pastel blue hair. There's a faint clicking noise in the background.

"I don't think you should dye it," Lucy says as she runs her fingers through the ends of my hair. "It's such a pretty colour already."

"I agree, what were you thinking of doing, Maya?" Fiona asks.

"I just want to cut it," I state bluntly.

"Why?' she asks intently.

"Just wanted a change," I shrug.

"Come one Maya, we're your band mates," she says desperately before looking over at Lucy. "And groupie," she adds. "Point is, you need to trust us. Please trust us."

"Alright," I sigh. "When my Mom met my Dad, she was a professional ballerina. It was the classic love story, boy meets girl, they fall in love, they get married," my Dad used to describe it so vividly, he loved her so much. "But my Mom got pregnant earlier than she wanted. She ended up having twins, my brother and I, and had to quit ballet. She even convinced my Dad to give up his dream for us. It's just, she's always thought that I owe her something. My brother was always such an obedient kid, he disliked her at much as me but he was a people pleaser. She forced me into ballet from a young age and I did enjoy it for a while but it's not my dream. I just feel like my whole life I've been her puppet. I don't even know who I am, it's my time to take control," I breathe.

"Woah," breathes Lucy. "Wait, what about your brother?" she asks in a hesitant tone. I sigh and shake my head. "I'm so sorry."

I notice Luke in my peripheral looking from his phone to me multiple times. "What about this one?" he asks, sliding his phone over to me. On the screen is a picture of a hairstyle that is cut just below the collarbone with face framing layers.

"Woah, who knew you had such an eye for fashion?" Adam laughs.

"It's perfect," I smile.

Hannah then walks through the door, the same permanent scowl on her face. "Let's get started," Fiona pipes up. "We have to record another YouTube video."

We make over way over to the already set up equipment. Fiona then hits record on the camera, giving us a thumbs up after she's done so. I switch on my happy-go lucky attitude. "Hey everyone! We're Dusk to Dawn and we're back with another video! Our lovely camera lady, Fiona, has suggested each of our members make one video per week, what do you think? Let us now in the comments below! Today we're going to be doing a song written by none other than our drummer, Luke. This is called This is Gospel."

With that as his cue, Luke begins to beat his foot in the drums. "This is gospel for the fallen ones locked away in permanent slumber, assembling their philosophies from pieces of broken memories." The guitar and bass are then added. "Oh oh oh.

"This is the beat of my heart," Hannah sings in her nasally indie girl voice.

"Their gnashing teeth and criminal tongues conspire against the odds, but they haven't seen the best of us yet." The beat then slows. "If you love me let me go," the beat returns with a vengeance. If you love me let me go. Cause these words are knives and often leave scars."

"The fear of falling apart," Hannah and I sing together.

"And truth be told, I never was yours. The fear, the fear of falling apart"