Chapter 27

My last birthday went like any other birthday. Ash jumped on my bed at 6am proclaiming that is was our birthday and I reminded him, like I had the previous few years, that we were children. And like every other year, he reminded me that it was tradition and that it was something he was going to do for every birthday we celebrated together.

Little did he know that it would be his last.

Dad made us a pancake breakfast before taking us down to the creek to fish before the cold really set in. That night, we ordered pizza and had a cake while having a Harry Potter marathon.

I wake up the morning of my 17th birthday with a bittersweet feeling. On one hand, I had always liked my birthday and on another, I was alone.

As a kid, I always fantasied about having a birthday to myself, I'd always seen my twin as a liability when it came to birthdays. Well, I guess I got my wish. This year, it was just me.

I pull out my phone and log onto my Facebook account, something that I rarely use. Opening a particular page, I'm hit with a feeling of nostalgia.

Asher's cover photo was of him and the football team while his profile picture was him, my Dad and I, on our last birthday as a family. I swallow the thick lump in my throat as I look through all the 'RIP' messages left by people that he hardly even knew. I stuck in a shaky breath as I begin to type my own message.

Happy birthday bro.

I hope you're having a great time up there with Dad. You know, that's the only thing that's getting me through all this crap, the hope that you're in a better place. I know that you'd be yelling at me right now for being sad but I am, I miss you bro and all the things we can't experience. You'll never meet Luke, he's amazing by the way, and I'll never get to become an Auntie and we'll never graduate together. Just like that, all our plans, gone.

This was the first time in 17 years you didn't jump on my bed to wake me up. I used to hate it but I sort of miss it now. Anyway, this is a monologue already so I'll leaving you alone. I hope you have the best birthday, Ash.

Love May

I post the message with a deep sigh and log off Facebook. Just then, Thomas bursts in my room and jumps on my bed. "It's your birthday!" he yells, the rest of the band, minus Hannah of course, all piling in behind him, Fiona holding a plate and Lucy, as usual, holding a camera. Abigail trails in behind

"We made you breakfast!" Fiona says cheerily as she places the plate of waffles on my lap. Luke comes and sits next to me on the bed as I eat.

I look up and notice everyone staring at me. "Uh, are just going to watch me eat?" I ask.

"Yep," is the reply in unison.

Well okay then

I deliberately finish my meal fast then force everyone out so I can get dressed, Luke crying faintly in protest.

I opt to wear grey jeans paired with a cream sweater and brown ankle boots. I make my way downstairs and Fiona frowns at me. "I wouldn't wear that if I were you."

I look down, wondering what's wrong with my outfit. "Why?"

"Today we're painting."

After changing and having a brief chat to Abigail, we head down to Adam's house, manned with buckets of paint. "What exactly are we painting?" I ask as I carry a can of sky blue paint into the basement.