Chapter 23

I immediately begin to chase after Luke. Well, more like speed walk but you get the picture. I eventually find him outside of the school, sitting with his back against a tree.

"Hey," I say softly as I sit next to him.

"Please, Amaia," he sighs, sounding tired. I make a point of staying firmly planted in my spot next to him.

"I'm not leaving until we talk about this," I state.

He sighs in defeat. "Fine. Why didn't you tell me? I trusted you and this is what you do?"

I lean my head back against the tree. "I thought I could handle it by myself. Besides, I was kind of hoping that because it was so far away they would forget about it. I guess not." I pause. "But Luke, I'm so sorry, I should've told you."

He turns to look at me. "You didn't tell anyone?"

"Well only Thomas knows but he was there. Besides, why would I tell anyone?"

"I'm here for you, the band's here for you. You can talk to us," he laces his fingers through mine. "I forgive you, but please just.. talk to me." The school bell rings in the distance, signalling the beginning of first period.

I've never had friends before, not really.

________________

I look in the car mirror as I gently run my fingers through my perfect curls. Ensuring my nearly tear-stained make-up is perfect, I close the mirror before stepping out of Ash and I's shared car and walk to school. Ash and I have a reputation to uphold. As two of the most popular people in school, we park our car about a block away from the school. Mom says we can't be seen in that "beat up piece of crap."

"Hey guys!" I fake smile as I approach the cheer squad, which is basically another term for glorified Barbie doll.

"Hey Maya! Ew, what happened? You forgot your contour!" Nikki cries. The other girls gasp.

Before I have the chance to answer, Rosa grabs my shoulders and pulls out a contour kit from her bright pink make-up bag. Once she's done assaulting me with make-up, she pulls away with a relieved sigh. "There, that could've been a disaster."

"Did you girls see Natalie at the party Friday? Talk about being a fat slut," Nikki fake gags, her pin straight blonde hair falling around her shoulders.

"What was she doing?" I ask. Natalie was part of the squad and the closest I'd gotten to ever having a true friend. Let's just say she was the lesser of many evils.

"Get with it Maya! She was making out with Theo for like half the night and she ate, like, two handfuls of chips! Just thinking about it makes me sick."

"Uh, isn't Theo her boyfriend?" I reply, already knowing the answer.

"Yeah but it's still gross." There's a low hum of agreements.

Just then, Natalie walks up to the squad. "Hey everyone!" she chirps.

"Hey Nat!" Nikki replies, equally as cheery.

"Guys, look!" Layla calls. Everyone turns to the direction she's pointing. Low and behold, it's the football team walking down the hall. Ash leads the pack.

"Asher's so hot, don't you think?" Rosa sighs to me.

"Uh, he's my twin," I cringe.

"Yeah, so?"

"Bit hard to find someone hot when a) they're your twin, gross and b) you remember them getting toilet trained."

_____________________