Chapter 29

For days, I did nothing.

All day, I would lay on my bed, just staring at the ceiling. Lucy and Thomas are the only friends to check in on me. I could tell that they were worried about me but they didn't see me at my worst.

At night, I would break down. I would curl up on me bed, clutching onto his black hoodie that he loved so much. It still smelled faintly of him, and I cried harder knowing the smell would soon fade. But I'll get better.

One of the main things that run through my mind was that Thomas was right, he warned me it was too soon but I didn't listen. He never once said 'I told you so' though.

He tried visiting a few times, he sounded broken as he banged on my bedroom door. At one point, I pulled my sleep-deprived body off the bed so I could sit on the other side of the door and listen to him breathe, just like I used to when he slept next to me.

Alexander let me stay home from school for a few days, I could tell he was worried too and quite honestly, if I had the energy I would be too. Despite his protests, he made Thomas go to school to at the very least collect our homework, which lay discarded on my desk just the food that was brought up to me. It's okay though, it'll get better.

Right?

It's melodramatic, but I felt like I would never be okay again. I love Luke but I can't trust him and it kills me. Every time my phone rang and his named popped up on the screen I felt my heart shatter a little more, slowly I became more and more broken.

It wasn't until Tuesday that, with one final burst of courage, I decided to answer the phone. I saw nothing as I hold the little device up to my heart.

"Maya?" there goes another little piece of my heart, he sounds so broken. "Amaia?"

"I'm here," I whisper with a croaky voice.

I don't know if it was the defeated tone in my voice or if he was nervous, but he sucks in a shaky breath. "I'm so sorry, I should've pushed her away sooner, I shouldn't have even let her near me, I shouldn't have gone to her to talk in the first place," he speaks fast.

"I can't trust you anymore," I hear my voice crack, a lump begins forming in my throat. "I'm sorry. I-I can't. We're over," I bite my lip and look up at the ceiling, willing the tears to go away.

His voice sounds desperate. "Maya, please, don't do this! We can get through it, I'm so sorry, please don't leave me," I flinch, I can hear his heart breaking. "I love you."

I pull in a shaky breath. "Goodbye Luke," I whisper before I hang up.

I break down for what feels like the millionth time only this time, it's during the day.

And I'm not getting better.

Sometime during my breakdown, Thomas came into my room and wordlessly pulled me onto his lap, combing his fingers through my hair. And, by some miracle, I was able to fall asleep for the first time in days.

"I'm worried, Dad," I hear Thomas' voice as I begin to drift in consciousness. "She's so broken and, when I picked her up, she-she's getting so thin Dad," his voice shakes at the end.

I feel the end of my bed sink. "I'm worried too, Tom," Alexander says. "If only her Mother actually cared enough to-"he cuts himself off. "All we can do is be there for her."

I choose that moment to pry my eyes open. I was still on Thomas' lap, my head resting against his chest. "Hey sweetheart," Alexander smiles.

Alexander's earlier comment had left me curious. "Where's Mom?" I ask, voice croaky from lack of use. Apart from crying.