Chapter 17

"Hey Tom can I borrow your car? I'm going to Luke's," I ask as I pop my head in the door of Thomas' room at 4pm.

"This is becoming a common occurrence. Sure," he throws me his keys.

"Thanks!" I say as I close his door and make my way down to his car.

It doesn't take long to reach Luke's run down property. I get out of the out of place car and knock on the door, tightening my coat around my body, the sky is littered with dark grey clouds. The door swings open almost immediately and I'm met with Luke who's holding Becky on his hip.

"Hey," he smiles. "Come on in," he moves away from the door so I can enter. I retreat quickly into the warm house. "I hope you don't mind but Stella had work so we have Becky for the afternoon."

"No problem at all," I smile.

We head up to Luke's room with Becky in tow. Luke immediately sets Becky down on the floor and grabs his guitar. "So I uh wrote this song and I was hoping that we could uh maybe do a duet for YouTube with it?" he asks albeit shyly. "You know, because Lucy said that we each need to upload a video every couple weeks," he adds quickly.

"Sounds great Luke,' I say with a chuckle. "So let's hear it."

"Well I'm gonna play this on guitar but I was hoping that you could learn it on piano." Luke begins strumming a slow, simple tune.

"And I'll use you as a warning sign that if you talk enough sense then you'll lose your mind," as he begins singing in his rough, husky voice. I can already tell that this is so much different to his usual music.

"And I'll use you as a focal point so I don't lose sight of what I want. And I've moved further than I thought I could but I missed you more than I thought I would," he looks right into my eyes for the last line, almost as if he's trying to say something to me.

"And I'll use you as a warning sign that if you talk enough sense then you'll lose your mind. And I found love where it wasn't supposed to be, right in front of me, talk some sense to me. I found love where it wasn't supposed to be, right in front of me, talk some sense to me."

And I'll use you as a makeshift gauge of how much to give and how much to take. Oh I'll use you as a warning sign that if you talk enough sense then you'll lose your mind Oh and I found love where it wasn't supposed to be, right in front of me, talk some sense to me." A brief instrumental break begins.

"And I found love where it wasn't supposed to be, right in front of me, talk some sense to me," he repeats this phrase a few times before ending the song. Becky laughs and claps enthusiastically.

It's silent for a few moments because I honestly don't know how to react to such a heartfelt song. Luke stares at me intently. "Woah," I say after some time. "It's beautiful," is it about Hannah? Is the unasked question.

"Yeah I know it's different to my usual stuff but..." he trails off "I was feeling some stuff at the time."

For Hannah?

We spend the next hour practicing the song and getting it YouTube ready. Turns out Luke had some beautiful sounding harmonies prepared. I swear, the guy is a musical genius.

"Wuke," Becky pulls on his shirt, this is her first time talking since we started practicing. "I'm hungwy."

"Alright you little munchkin," Luke says as he picks her up. "You hungry?" He asks as he turns back to me.