Chapter 18

"A Halloween party, really?" Hannah groans. Man this girl really likes complaining.

"We're only a new band, Han, we can't exactly pick and choose where we perform," Fiona replies calmly. Hannah groans once again, causing Fiona's shoulders to slump.

"Well I think it's a great idea," Adam exclaims as he puts his arm around Fiona's shoulders, hugging her tightly.

My phone vibrates with a new text message. I pick it up and hold back a sigh when I realise it's my Mother.

Get home. Now.

"Hey guys, I gotta head home," I say as I pick up my things.

Luke just about jumps up with me. "Everything okay?" he asks.

No. "Yes."

"I'll give you a ride."

"It's alright, I can walk," I want to delay it.

"That wasn't an offer, come on," he gently grabs my arm and leads me out of Adam's basement and to his old broken down car. Like a true gentleman, he opens the door for me. "So what's really going on?" he asks as he slides into the driver's seat.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"I can tell something's up, please tell me," he hands rests on top of mine.

"I'm scared. I know it's childish but I'm scared to go home. I didn't go home last night and as if that wasn't bad enough, I've cut all my hair off and I didn't exercise. I'm rebelling and it might feel great in the moment but once I actually face my Mother..." I trail off.

"You're stronger than her and everyone seems to realise that except for you but its okay because Lucy, the band, me... we'll all be strong for you. Now let's get you home so you can face the she-demon," his hand gives mine a final squeeze before starting up the car.

It's silent. That's all my brain registers. The suffocating silence and almost awkwardness. Almost 24 hours after our kiss and neither of us has brought it up. What if that means that it meant nothing to him?

"Are we gonna talk about this?" I finally say, sick of the silence.

"Talk about what?" he asks, popping his mouth.

"You know what!" I exclaim. "The kiss,' I say albeit quieter.

"Oh right that," he says blandly. "Listen, I like you Amaia, you know that. But I don't think I could handle it if I hurt you or if Hannah hurt you because of something I did."

"You really think Hannah would hurt me?"

"In second grade she kicked our teacher where the sun don't shine because he said her drawing was 'pretty' instead of 'amazing'."

I consider this. "I can see it," I shake my head. 'But that's beside the point, you won't hurt me Luke and neither will Hannah, she can be horrible sometimes but.." I take a deep breath. "I don't think she would hurt me." We pull in front of my house. I put my fingers under his chin and pull his head so it's facing me.

His eyes are closed and he takes a deep breath. "You're making this really hard for me, Maya."

"Luke, do something for yourself for once," I say as I smash my lips against his.

This kiss starts off soft then becomes so much different to the last one, it's rough and hungry. Luke's long fingers tangle in my hair, making me grateful that it's short. There are no sparks, not like you read in books. Instead, there's comfort and warmth, there's safety and an unexplainable feeling in my stomach. By the time we pull away, we're both breathless.