Chapter 7

"Not good enough! Again!" My Mother screeches at me after attempting a leap which caused me to land on my previously injured ankle and fall. We'd been at it all weekend, it was currently 2pm on Sunday afternoon. I had been woken up at 6am to practice and since then, I've only had an hour for lunch.

"But I'm exhausted and my ankle hurts-"she cuts me off.

"How do you possibly think you're going to get to the level you need to be at if you whine all the time? You insolent child," she fumes. "Now actually listen for once and do it again."

I shakily stand up, attempting to keep my weight off of my right ankle. I pirouette before going into a leap, my ankle once again giving out at the weight of my body as my toes land on the ground.

If looks could kill, I'd be six feet under. I can almost see the smoke radiating out of my Mother's ears. She stands over me. "You stupid girl. If only you hadn't been dumb enough to do this to yourself in the first place"

"I-you know it's not my fault-" I get cut off.

"You were the one you decided to starve yourself, you were the one who snapped their ankle because of malnourishment, and you threw your career away," she seethes. There's a knock at the door and almost instantly, she becomes the doting Mother. "Come in dear," she says, making a show of pulling me off the ground. Thomas walks in.

"Hey, I was wondering if I could take Amaia out for a bit? The band has practice today and they were wondering if she could come," he says, leaning against the door frame.

"Of course, dear. Amaia could use a break," she smiles sweetly, all but throwing me at him. I stumble before he catches and steadies me.

Thomas leads me out of the dance studio. "You could use a shower," he gestures to my sweaty form, I notice an almost concerned look in his eyes. "Practice starts in half an hour so be quick if you can."

I limp into the bathroom and shower as quickly as I can. Deliberately skipping make up and styling my wet hair. First of all, I'm exhausted and it's too much work, and second I simply don't want to. I throw on black sandals, skinny jeans and a black top. I take note of my looser jeans.

I sneak out of the house, knowing that Mother will be furious with me looking less than perfect.

"She's over working you," says Thomas as I enter the car.

"She just wants me to do well," is my quick reply. Thomas turns on the car and begins backing out of the drive way.

"I think there's a difference between making sure you do well and working you half to death."

I contemplate for a few seconds before changing the topic. "So the band invited me to practice? Does that make me your official groupie?"

"Well technically the band didn't invite you, I did. You seemed exhausted and your Mom wasn't letting you have a break but she loves me," he replies with a smirk.

I sigh and begin listening to the radio, which is playing an old 80's jam before resting my head on the window, well and truly exhausted.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­________________

I was well and truly on the way to falling asleep when we arrived at Adam's house. I groggily step out of the car before entering his house, Thomas at my side. The house seems pretty empty, which must mean his Mom's out today.

"Maya!" screams Fiona, flinging her body at me at me, causing me to stumble slightly.

"Uh hey Fiona," I say, releasing her so I can sit down on the cajon drum. I'm sure Luke won't mind, he and Hannah aren't even here yet. "So how was the rest of the party?"