Chapter 35

"Where are you going?" I ask Thomas. He had walked out his room dressed in skinny jeans and a black graphic tee five minutes prior and as just about to walk out the front door.

A brief pained expression crosses his face. "The gig's tonight May," he replies softly, almost as if he was hoping I wouldn't hear.

I suck in a deep breath. "Right," I mutter. "Good luck," I say a little louder.

He flashes me a quick smile before heading out the door.

I sigh and flop back against the couch. Thomas has told me a few days ago that Fiona decided to kick Hannah out of the band and if I was being honest, I couldn't see it happening. It's not that I thought that Fiona or Thomas were lying, but I know them. They're almost like golden retrievers, they're loyal and Hannah is a life-long friend. And although the code blue the other night hadn't fixed things completely, it had made them better

"Hey Maya!" Abigail calls, there the thud of footsteps coming down the stairs before she appears in front of me. "Got any plans tonight?"

I offer the ghost of a smile. "No."

She puts her hands on her hips. "Well, surprisingly, neither do I." That was weird, Abigail was always out doing something. "So I propose a girls night, we can watch all the sad romance movies on Netflix and gorge on ice-cream and popcorn."

"Sounds great."

Abigail pulls me off the couch, much to my protest, I was feeling particularly lazy today. After raiding the pantry and fridge, we find ourselves in the home theatre, surrounded by enough food to feed a small army.

Abigail puts on a movie I'd never heard of, letting it play in the background, before turning to me. "So what's been going on?" she asks.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I reply.

"Come on, don't play dumb. What even happened between you and Luke? You never told me."

Abigail was right, she didn't really know what happened that night, so with a sigh, I begin the story. I tell her the feelings I'd been having of not being good enough for Luke and how we fought over it, I told her how he'd gone to Hannah and how Hannah kissed him but he delayed in pushing her away. I told her how it had gotten me kicked out of the band.

Once I finished my spiel, she rolls her eyes. "Teenagers," she mutters. Just as I'm about to open my mouth to tell her that she's fifteen, she continues. "Ever thought that maybe he was delayed in pushing her away because he was shocked? I sure as hell would be shocked if one of my childhood best friends randomly kissed me in front of my girlfriend."

I hated to admit it, but she had a point. Luke wasn't the problem, I was. It wasn't him that couldn't be trusted, it was I that couldn't trust. "You're right," I finally admit.

"Of course I'm damn well right. And as for this whole band thing, it's only a matter of time before they come begging for you to re-join. I've known them most of my life too, you know."

"When did you get so wise? When I first met you, you were this prissy pink brat, no offense, now you're basically Abigail, Goddess, of Wisdom," I joke.

She leans back against the couch and shrugs. "What can I say? High school's changed me." I simply offer a laugh.

We spend the rest of the night exactly like that, movies playing in the background while we eat and talk about everything. Abigail tells me about her Mom and I tell her and my Dad and Ash. Abigail tells me about Michael and I tell her about what it was like to be with Luke.